Latest post Fri, Feb 8 2013 1:14 PM by Pixel Monkey. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:21 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

Can't Online My Show, Because of AMA Linking Problems

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to Avid (about 2 years off and on) and the biggest problem I've had is with the AMA offline/online workflow.  I can never seen to get it to work.  Here's what I did....

A.  I linked to Prores quicktime files via AMA.

B.  I transcoded to DNXHD 36 files, which gave me .new clips

C.  Because this fellow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgSF73Msxgc) says you can't use .new clips in your edit (because you can't relink back to your AMA files  from them), I followed his advice to relink the AMA linked files to the transcodes. I've since been told by others that you can use the .new clips in your edit and I've done tests to show it works, but there's a lot of mixed thought out there.  But, this project was started prior to this, so it doesn't matter.

D.  After I was done my offline, I copied it into a new bin called Online and put a copy of the sequence in there and showed all the reference clips.  When I tried to relink to the AMA files, the "allow relinking to AMA files" option had just disappeared from the relinking dialogue box.  I just can't relink to the AMA files.

E.  I followed a forum poster's advice and created a new bin in my project and linked to all the AMA clips.  The person said that that would help with relinking everything back to the AMA clips, but it didn't.  I just get error codes whenever I try relinking.

I find AMA offline/online workflow extrememly difficult to wrap my head around and I find Avid's relinking problems extremely frustrating, because even if you know where the files are (which I do in this case), you might not be able to relink to them, which just seems so silly to me.  They're just sitting there and I can't establish a connection.  Can someone please tell me how to relink everything?  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Scott

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:39 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: Can't Online My Show, Because of AMA Linking Problems

I think that this shows that not everything on youtube is helpful, this is a fast help, we can skype it later on if you want to.

So, without having Avid opened up, put an X or something in front of you Avid Mediafiles main folder ( s ) to make it all offline for Avid.

Now, open up Avid, everything will be offlline of course.

Use the command, link to ama volume as I suppose you did earlier or ama link manually to all the origin files, you want to do this in a brand new bin.

Do a check that all the linked clips plays well

Now use a copy of that edited Sequense and press relink on it using the option " link to files not in the project " or something similar and the relinked Sequense should be online now linking to the origin clips.

Close down Avid and remove the " X " , open it up again , that Sequense should still contain only those origin clips, alt drag it to a new fresh bin to get a copy of it and press " transcode " this time selecting your online codec.

hth

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:53 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

Thanks, so much mjoinarn.  I got it to work!  For some strange reason, the thing that did the trick was having the bin with the remounted AMA files in it open at the same time that I tried the relink of the reference clips from the sequence in the online bin I made.  The logic of it is still all a bit confusing to me, even after going through all of Avid's training manuals. I think the rules of AMA definitely need to be made more logical.  It seems there's always a bit of voodoo required to get it to work.  I'm glad to hear you say there's no problem using the .new clips.       

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 8 2013 11:12 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

S.Clements:

Thanks, so much mjoinarn.  I got it to work! 

Very good

S.Clements:

I'm glad to hear you say there's no problem using the .new clips.       

Those .new clips are just transcoded clips and what you have transcoded to decides if you are doing offline or online edit, when using ama linking you ( almost .. ) always wants to transcode .

So, again, not everything on youtube ..

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 12:54 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,231
    • Points 15,520
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Glad you got it to work.

AMA is an "ama"zing tool.  Love it, love it, love it.  Cannot even remember working without it!!!

Unfortunately for Avid and AMA, it's an increcibly complicated workflow to explain.  You just have to FAIL at it three times miserably until you finally get it.  If it was an Apple product, even Steve Jobs wouldn't have wanted to include more than an overview of it in one of his annual speeches.

Which is why folks - myself included - have been clinging onto every single YouTube video we can find.  It's the offline/online process that trips people up the most.  Especially when you've mixed tape media in the sequence as well (thus do you Decompose? Expert Decompose? Or not at all?)  I was editing a long format PBS documentary a while ago, and on the phone with Avid Tech Support's "most revered Relink guy", and he couldn't walk me through the process in less than 30 minutes.

Is it because AMA sucks?  Heck no.  It's simply because every new project has 1,000 variables that are game-changers.  There's just no way Matt Feury could devote 30 hours a week making 200 AMA instructional videos... And then remaking them every point release.

With some serious money sunk into R&D, Avid could eventually get it to the point where the process is:

1. Select the sequence

2. Select "Make the thingy HD now"

3. Render.

(Intentionally oversimplifying to prove a point.)

...but that would be a HUGE timesuck on the part of a company that makes more than one product.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 1:07 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I think that we old Liquid editors have some advantages here, Liquid always linked to media and then it was our choice how we wanted to render it out.

Tomas 

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 1:14 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,231
    • Points 15,520
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Heh... Yeah and the other issue is that we OTD (older than dirt) Media Composer editors like to overcomplicate things.  ;)

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller