Latest post Wed, Feb 26 2014 1:12 PM by Wim Van den Broeck. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 7 2013 1:01 PM

surround mix in mc6

Hi,
    I have a video clip where I have to insert the 5.1 audio tracks, the files I received are separate for each channel, as can be grouped together in a 5.1 track?Big Smile

HP Z820, 64Gb RAM 2x Nvidia K5000, AVID Artist DnXIO, MC 8.4, Mac Book Pro 15" [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 7 2013 1:06 PM In reply to

Re: surround mix in mc6

Unfortunately, MC won't recognize that these tracks are part of multichannel groups.

IMO, the best way to bring them into Avid as a group is to rename them, so that ABC.L.wav becomes ABC_1.wav. R.wav becomes 2.wav. C->3 LFE->4 Ls->5 Rs->6. Then check the 'autdetect monophonic groups' in the import dialogue box, and set the multichannel format to SMPTE 5.1 (not 5.1 Film, that would be L,C,R... in stead of L,R,C...).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 7 2013 1:42 PM In reply to

Ok, but once imported the material as redirecting all clips on a 5.1 track?.....I'm going crazy!

HP Z820, 64Gb RAM 2x Nvidia K5000, AVID Artist DnXIO, MC 8.4, Mac Book Pro 15" [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 7 2013 1:48 PM In reply to

If you set the multichannel format correctly during import, the clip will be treated as a 5.1 SMPTE clip and you can splice it into any 5.1 track in your sequence. Or, after import as a single 6-track clip, you can choose Clip->Modify->Set Multichannel Audio and select 5.1 SMPTE.

You may then still need to make your sequence 5.1, as well as your outputs (if applicable). To the top left of your audio mixer, you can set the sequence format (mono, stereo, 5.1, 7.1) as well as the output format for your system. In Audio Project settings, you can also choose the output format and the output channels you want to use for that.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 16 2013 3:34 PM In reply to

WHEN I EXPORT A SEQUENCE WITH TRACKS IN AAF 5.1, PROTOOLS DISCLAIMS ALL FILES..have you any advice?

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 3:51 PM In reply to

What do you mean by "disclaims"?

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 4:03 PM In reply to

I'm sorry, I try to explain, I have a sequence in media composer 6 with 5.1 audio tracks, I create aaf file for protools, then I open the session in protools and the files generated by mc does not give me the tracks 5.1.
    5.1 The original files are imported into avid already 5.1

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 4:07 PM In reply to

What version of PT? What type of AAF export and what export settings? Note that there is an option there that lets you unfold 5.1 tracks into individual mono tracks. Sounds like that could be happening.

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 4:17 PM In reply to

I tried both links to media, copy all media, consolidate media, if there is even a way to genare an aff with mono tracks what are the settings? the protools is 9 version

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 11:14 PM In reply to

cinetica video:
    if there is even a way to genare an aff with mono tracks what are the settings

• Tue, Feb 25 2014 8:59 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    MC won't recognize that these tracks are part of multichannel groups.

Drew up an article about this, as the issue keeps popping up:

http://www.jobterburg.nl/Publications/SurroundRename.pdf

• Tue, Feb 25 2014 11:58 PM In reply to

Job, and others.

I wrote 2 BAT files according to Job's instruction (windows only):

Download them here

They rename the 5.1 and 7.1 files for use in MC:

-SURROUND_5.1.bat
    -SURROUND_7.1.bat

Place one of the bat files you need, into the folder with the 5.1 or 7.1 mix exported to BWF-M from Pro Tools monophonic BWF files. (better to first make a copy of that folder) And then execute the .BAT file by double clicking. All your files will be renamed now, avoiding the usual errors by manually renaming.

Hope you like it.

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Wed, Feb 26 2014 1:04 PM In reply to

Nice, Wim! But that's going to work on PC's only, right?

• Wed, Feb 26 2014 1:12 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Nice, Wim! But that's going to work on PC's only, right?

Thanks. Yes, that's PC only...

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller