Latest post Fri, Mar 22 2013 12:27 PM by Marianna. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 28 2013 4:37 AM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,160
    • Points 217,415
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Does Media Management scare you? Do you have "untitled_Sequence" Files in your MXF folder?

When I started with MC just over 5 years ago, I soon learned that I should let Avid's powerful Media Management take care of my media.
    In fact I was so careful in following the well known basic rules that I was scared of doing anything that might break them.

I am now in the middle of preparing a series of tutorials on Media Management that shines a new light on the real possibilities that are hidden beneath the surface.

I do not know much about Media Management. But, under the guidance of a professional Avid editor who has spent over 15 years developing an amazing (amazing to me, at least) workflow where he utilises Avid's MM in a way that I could never imagine, I hope to bring a fresh new angle on Media Management to you soon.

I have made a short Preamble video, explaining the events that led up to my undertaking this challenge.

The video is HERE

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 6 2013 6:00 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Re: Does Media Management scare you? Do you have "untitled_Sequence" Files in your MXF folder?

Nice video Douglas, really nicely put together with lots of effects and always a relief to see that I can view this on my ipad. I'm potentially interested in checking out your series on media management.

• Wed, Feb 6 2013 2:11 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Re: Does Media Management scare you? Do you have "untitled_Sequence" Files in your MXF folder?

I'll definitely take a look, too.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 6 2013 5:47 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 728
    • Points 11,085

I like this idea very much.  Looking forward to it.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Thu, Feb 7 2013 9:50 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port McNeill, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,580
    • Points 19,995

Hi Douglas:

Once again I thank you and look forward to your new teaching video tutorial series on Avid Media Management. I am totally confused about this subject (courtesy of the absolutely disgraceful and useless avid media composer manual !) I have learned a great deal from your two series on Avid FX (Which is a truly amazing app by the way ! ). Keep up this excellent work Douglas. YesIdea

Mark Job

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 4 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Thu, Feb 7 2013 10:19 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,160
    • Points 217,415
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Laptopeditor:
    I have learned a great deal from your two series on Avid FX

Glad to have been able to help you, Mark

I am curious as to what "two series" you are referring to.
    Do you mean the tutorials, mainly on AvidFX 5.8, that are part of my 2 free collections here on the Avid MC PC forum?

Laptopeditor:
    look forward to your new teaching video tutorial series on Avid Media Management

Right now I am wrestling with part 1. In order to make this understandable for mortals, I am running into all sorts of problems - but I am getting there.

There is going to be quite a lot of information that will turn the "standard" approach to media management upside-down.
    But you will probably be disappointed to hear that you will not be seeing the series here in the free tutorial collections of mine................ Geeked

Now back to the drawing board . . . . .

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 7 2013 11:06 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port McNeill, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,580
    • Points 19,995

Hi Douglas:

drbgaijin:
    Do you mean the tutorials, mainly on AvidFX 5.8, that are part of my 2 free collections here on the Avid MC PC forum?
    ...Yes. Thanks you for that Big Smile

Mark J.

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 4 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Sun, Feb 10 2013 2:09 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

Douglas, Looks interesting. I understand the reluctance to tinker when you are busy with many other aspects of post production. Leveraging another's experience from the school of hard knocks is always something I'm on the lookout for...best wishes with your new endeavour.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 12:01 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,160
    • Points 217,415
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I am now in the finishing stages of completing "Moving along in Avid's Media Management - Part 1: Principles, Preparations and Projects"

You can get a little more information about this series from the PDF link on THIS PAGE

The series will take you beyond the usual Media Management approach

I am expecting Part 1 to be available by this coming weekend - at the latest.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 14 2013 10:34 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,160
    • Points 217,415
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

drbgaijin:
    I am expecting Part 1 to be available by this coming weekend - at the latest.

I was quicker than expected.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Mar 7 2013 6:09 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,160
    • Points 217,415
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

For those of you who have already watched Part 1 of the different approach to Media Management:

I have now uploaded Part 2, which among other things covers suggestions for "Good Practice" when working on projects as well as an introduction to Dylan's Templater and more . . . . .

Information about Part 2 can be found HERE

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Mar 18 2013 5:42 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,160
    • Points 217,415
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I have had a few PMs about my "Different approach to Avid's media management" asking me to post information whenever a new tutorial is ready.

Part 3 has just been uploaded a few minutes ago.

This one shows how to re-organise your existing Avid MediaFiles/ MXF/ 1 folder and turn it into a collection of individual folders for each project. The folders can be numbered alpha-numerically -  making it easy to find complete projects, with all the files under one roof.

http://www.gaijin-eyes.com/June2010DD/mediamanagement.html

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Mar 21 2013 7:30 PM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 679
    • Points 10,100

Maybe a bit off topic here - (apologies to Douglas for possible thread hijack) but when I first joined the MC community from Liquid (like Douglas) a few years back there were several warnings about never doing a Windows OS disk defrag as this would break the media management on the media drives. 

Since then I have stuck rigidly to this rule and never degfragemented my MC machine drives - media or otherwise. 

So while I do not want to fiddle with something that is not broken - out of interest does anyone know if this is stil the case and a Windows defrag (or even a disk check) will break Avids media management?

Regards

Neil 

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 21 2013 7:56 PM In reply to

adamsonn:
    out of interest does anyone know if this is stil the case and a Windows defrag (or even a disk check) will break Avids media management?
    It has not for me.

I do not intentionally defrag media drives(old habbits die hard) but have had a couple of instances (different CPU's) where I was too casual after updating my defrag program and did not notice that it added my media drives to their scheduled nightly defrag. I caught it inside a month but had no problems with either Avid

• Thu, Mar 21 2013 8:03 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

AndrewAction:

adamsonn:
    out of interest does anyone know if this is stil the case and a Windows defrag (or even a disk check) will break Avids media management?
    It has not for me.

I do not intentionally defrag media drives(old habbits die hard) but have had a couple of instances (different CPU's) where I was too casual after updating my defrag program and did not notice that it added my media drives to their scheduled nightly defrag. I caught it inside a month but had no problems with either Avid

I´ve had Diskkeeper doing auto defrags in the background since 2007.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller