Latest post Sun, Jan 27 2013 8:03 AM by camoscato. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 7:13 PM

• reelmensch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Canada
    • Posts 64
    • Points 1,045

Importing picture file

Hi friends,

A company sent me a logo to put ontop of a video that we made.  The logo is a PNG file, and it is a basic logo with a transparent background.  When I open it in photoshop, it looks the way I want it to.  When I import it into AVID MC, it does not function the way I want it to.

I have tried to change the import settings.  With some settings, the logo looks destroyed (kind of like an old TV effect was added to it).  Sometimes it imports with a background, and sometimes it imports with crazy colours that have nothing to do with the logo.  SOmetimes it imports a black screen.  This is such a basic task that is making me pull my hair out.

Can somebody help me find the right settings to import?  Or perhaps this is not the problem at all.  My clients are getting impatient, so any help would be so much appreciated. 

Thanks.

RM

Avid Media Composer 8 Microsoft WIndows 7 Professional Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz 64 bit Operating System Installed Physical Memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 7:24 PM In reply to

Re: Importing picture file

Hi,

What size is the logo, and what format is your sequence?

If your logo's size matches your format size (i.e. you have a 1920x1080 logo and you're in a 1920x1080 project), choose the first option: "Image sized for current format."

If the logo is smaller than your format, and you don't want it resized, choose the third option: "Do not resize smaller images."

If the logo is smaller or larger than your format, and you want Media Composer to resize it for you, choose the fourth option: "Resize image to fit format raster."

Hope that helps.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jan 25 2013 7:42 PM In reply to

• reelmensch
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 64
    • Points 1,045

Thank you for the response camoscato.

After trying all 3 of those options, the problem each time is that the logo looks like it has an old television effect on it.  It looks awful.  No colour, and the image is all degraded.

Avid Media Composer 8 Microsoft WIndows 7 Professional Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz 64 bit Operating System Installed Physical Memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:01 PM In reply to

camoscato:
    What size is the logo, and what format is your sequence?

Also, was it created using the RGB color space, 601/709 color space, or some other color space?  If you open it in Photoshop, what does it say?

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:26 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

Is it in RGB or CMYK color space?  Video needs RGB.

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:30 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,373
    • Points 16,955

And what's an "old television" effect?

• Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:42 PM In reply to

The photoshop composition of the logo should include an alpha channel. Then, when importing to Avid with the option for alpha channel set at "invert", you will get a matte key clip which supers over your background video cleanly. The matte key clip is promotable to 3D for additional parameter options.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jan 27 2013 12:49 AM In reply to

• reelmensch
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 64
    • Points 1,045

So what settings should I use?

By old TV effect, I miean that there are lines and whitenoise over the picture and it is black and white.

• Sun, Jan 27 2013 5:15 AM In reply to

If your project format is 1920x1080 and the photoshop comp is also 1920x1080, use the choice "Image sized for current format".

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jan 27 2013 8:03 AM In reply to

reelmensch:
    So what settings should I use?

camoscato:
    was it created using the RGB color space, 601/709 color space, or some other color space?

vpcmike:
    Is it in RGB or CMYK color space?

If you can answer the color space question, we can tell you what you should do next.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller