Latest post Wed, Jan 16 2013 7:39 PM by AndrewAction. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 16 2013 5:34 PM

• Sebastiaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 2 2010
    • Belgium
    • Posts 15
    • Points 185

From Alexa to Symphony over Resolve and back to Symphony

I have some Alexa ProRes 444 log-c footage that I want to edit in Symphony 5.5 and color grade in resolve on another mac. I know I can ama link to the footage in Symphony, transcode to DnxHD 36 and if I want relink to the original media afterwards. But how do I get the edit in Resolve linking to the original Prores 444 media? Can I do this with an aaf?

System 1: 4 x HP Z800 Symphony 5.5.3 + 14 x HP Z400 MC 5.5.3 + 1 Mac pro OSX MC 5.5.3 and FCP 7.0.3 on ISIS 7000 2.3.0 and interplay 2.3.0 + 1 Protools... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , , , ,
  • Wed, Jan 16 2013 5:49 PM In reply to

Re: From Alexa to Symphony over Resolve and back to Symphony

I think you need to re-link the final offline edit back to the AMA source files and then AAF that timeline to resolve you can then add the original sources into the Resolve media pool and link the AAF to them when you import.

But always best to test that workflow before you start as changes to Symphony and Resolve in the various updates they issue can and do break things. 

Also the LOg-C footage will look flat and horrid in the offline unless you use Resolve to process the files first to correct for the Log-C. No LUT option in Symphony.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jan 16 2013 7:39 PM In reply to

Re: From Alexa to Symphony over Resolve and back to Symphony

Easiest would be to Open the ProRes footage in Resolve, apply the Arri to 709 LUT. Render the footage to Avid DNxHD 36 (either directly to an Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 folder or a drive you can later copy into your Avid Media drive) Then export an AAF from Resolve.

Edit in Symphony and export an AAF for Resolve

Open the original Resolve project and open the AAF from Symphony  Resolve will relink to the original media.

You or your colourist can be working with the original clips in Resolve whilst the edit is going on in Symphony. Any work done here will show up on clips in the AAF timeline from Symphony.

There are a few things from Symphony Resolve is not happy with (timewarp effects, more than 4 video tracks,  etc) There are a number of online tutorials covering this basic workfow

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller