Latest post Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:08 PM by Larry Rubin. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:35 PM

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,290

Relinking Media?

Folks:

I'm running Media Composer 5.0.3 on a Dell Quad-Core 3.0 MHz system with 8GB RAM and Windows 7 Pro. I edit a series of training videos and we were working on a new one (call it NEW VIDEO). These videos repeat a lot of the same info and sequences, so we use a good deal of archived media, too (call this ARCHIVED MEDIA - clever, huh?).

So, I'm about 75% of the way done with NEW VIDEO when, in a classic system crash failure, I lost BOTH my original NEW VIDEO media drive AND my backup. My Timeline (which was saved) obviously doesn't see any of my NEW VIDEO media, since it was on the other drive(s) and I have had to recapture it all. However, more than half my Timeline media referenced my ARCHIVED MEDIA drive - which was acting similarly starnge so I backed it up.

I have transferred everything from my ARCHIVED MEDIA drive to a new, larger, hopefully stable drive, but my reconstituted Timeline doesn't recognize media from THAT transferred drive, either (even 'though I merely copied from the old ARCHIVED MEDIA drive to the new one I'm using).

I was under the assumption (and hoping) that I could right click on a media file in my bin and tell Avid to RELINK - but it NEVER finds anything on ANY of my drives. When I scrub across the Timeline, I can see the name/title of the clip I was using but my monitor windows always say the dreaded "Media Offline."

Any suggestions? It's not really the entire end of the world if I have to go back and reinsert every clip in the Timeline, but on the strong chance I'm just an idiot, I thought I'd ask. Thanks for the help, as always.

Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:42 PM In reply to

Re: Relinking Media?

Hi Tom:

First, be sure you are following the Media Folder Management Ground Rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, never inside any other folders or the system will not find the media. The directory should be X:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 where X is the specific media drive.

2) The folder names must always be the exact factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

Then, rebuild the media database completely. Quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database" also identified as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb" . If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point. Depending on the number of media drives and total amount of media on your system this could take a while, so good time for a meal break.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:57 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,290

Larry - Thanks for the rapid reply. I have made certain the folders are named that and are ONLY root. Will delete the msm files and see if that helps, thanks.

I notice that one of my Avid MediaFiles folders has a subfolder named "2" (no quotes, but it has this AND the subfolder "1"). I don't recall that I ever created this myself, so can I assume I can go ahead and move whatever files are in that "2" folder to the "1" folder without destroying civilization as we know it?

Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:08 PM In reply to

No, that is perfectly normal behavior, don't move the files. The numerical folders are limited to 5,000 files. When the file count exceeds 5,000 the system auto creates a "2" folder, moves the entire contents of "1" into "2", and then re-populates the "1" folder. The process continues as necessary, with media files being rippled into new numerical folders as above. Composer can manage several smaller media databases far easier than one gigantic one.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller