Latest post Tue, Nov 13 2012 9:29 PM by Matt Feury. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 12 2012 8:58 PM

CENTER DURATION wrong - and more wrong in trim mode - other DURATIONS wrong too

Working on MC 6 (6.0.1.1) in a 24 project

There a a few odd things hapening with timecode and duration.

The CENTER DURATION doesn't match the TIMECODE DISPLAY/SEQUENCE/24F I/O duration - it is 2 or 3 frames longer.

In TRIM MODE the CENTER DURATION is way off when displaying time, but accurate when displaying frames. The TIRM MODE duration does not match the EDIT MODE duration, even if they are the same distance away from the in point.

With ADD FILLER TO START set for 2:00 (in TIMELINE settings) I get 2:12 added - or 60 frames instead of 48.

This last items seems to say that 29.97 is being used for calculationos instead of 24.

Duration is one of those things I use constantly and depend on to be accurate; frame accurate.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

L-

Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Nov 12 2012 9:27 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,216
    • Points 14,725

Re: CENTER DURATION wrong - and more wrong in trim mode - other DURATIONS wrong too

Talking about center duration, it's kinda crazy that in 2012, in the age of 64bit apps, MC still cannot display that info when you hit play.

Unless it's some kind of nostalgia tinted hommage to the pioneers editors who still miss v1.0... Huh?

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 13 2012 1:46 AM In reply to

Re: CENTER DURATION wrong - and more wrong in trim mode - other DURATIONS wrong too

Wait so this is how it's supposed t work? I've always wondered why after I hit play the timecode would go away, I thought it was a setting that had to be changed but I guess that's not the case :/

• Tue, Nov 13 2012 4:52 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,216
    • Points 14,725

It's been like that since the early days of Media Composer. Made sense then, as it was so processor intense to display the video/sound from the timeline that anything extra was disabled - center duration would disappear and on Mac prior OSX, even the system clock would freeze during the viewing.

But 20 years later, I guess that it means some old legacy code is still in MC, even in its 64bit rewrite. Wink

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:17 PM In reply to

Not seeing any of these issues in v6.5.0.1.  Perhaps it was fixed later on?

You should also check out v6.0.3.2, which will have a bunch of fixes in that for you...

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Nov 13 2012 6:36 PM In reply to

• Matt Feury
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 22 2008
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 39
    • Points 570
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

Try setting the Master TC on your sequence to 24.  Otherwise center duration won't count as 24.

-Matt

• Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:19 PM In reply to

What do you mean? Isn't the frame rate controlled by the project? How would I set the sequence TC to 24?

(Advantage Final Cut?)

Thanks (and thanks for being on topic).

L-

Matt Feury:

Try setting the Master TC on your sequence to 24.  Otherwise center duration won't count as 24.

• Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:25 PM In reply to

In a 24p/23p based project Avid tracks multiple frame rate TCs concurrently. Make sure in your TC window you are set to 24p based timecode and not 30 NDF which is the default (probably a left over from the old telecine days).

editorsavant:
    (Advantage Final Cut?)

No, because FCP is unable to multiple TC so it always defaults to the sequence native TC. But I guess Avid not defaulting to TC24 is a mistake on Avid's part. Should be an easy fix for Avid.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 13 2012 8:29 PM In reply to

OK done. (did before I wrote) The (most) offending duration is the CENTER DURATION which has no settings (just click: frame count, click: time).

FYI on MC Mac (even though I know MC runs better on Windows. This is a Mac office (from back when there wasn't a Windows MC).

Dom Q. Silverio:

In a 24p/23p based project Avid tracks multiple frame rate TCs concurrently. Make sure in your TC window you are set to 24p based timecode and not 30 NDF which is the default (probably a left over from the old telecine days).

• Tue, Nov 13 2012 8:35 PM In reply to

PS Dom, I think we met when you fixed our deck problem at Realside Productions/Free Angela film. Hope all is well!

• Tue, Nov 13 2012 9:29 PM In reply to

• Matt Feury
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 22 2008
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 39
    • Points 570
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

As far as I know (and I could be wrong), FCP doesn't allow multi-timeocode management in the same sequence, and that's why adjusting TC master to the desired frame rate is separate from the project frame rate.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller