Latest post Sun, Oct 28 2012 3:39 AM by Steve Kistner. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:39 AM

• elysc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 8 2012
    • Posts 23
    • Points 275

Confusing media in Avid Access

Hi All,

I am having a hard time understanding why would AVID show that a number of media is offline in Avid Access while it can still play in Avid Assist. Whats more confusing is that it shows the file size to be zero but you can still play the file. Certainly its not a null file if you can still play it right?

I hope someone can help me understand this and offer a resolution. I am collecting the amount of data we Ingest and this would make my data gathering not relaible. Can someone help me?

-ELYSC-

• Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:43 AM In reply to

• elysc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 8 2012
    • Posts 23
    • Points 275

Re: Confusing media in Avid Access

Just an update,

I tried to update the folder using "update status using Media Indexer" in Avid Access now all files sizes are zero while they can still be played in Avid Assist.

This is getting weirder. Hope someone could help.

-ELYSC-

• Fri, Oct 26 2012 2:15 PM In reply to

We used to have 0KB files when we worked with meridian resolutions in SD projects, and like in your case files wighted more than that and also play smooothly... Is this your case?, with Avid resolution are you using? Our was 2:1.
    Regards.

* Avid Media Composer 2018.2 * Interplay | Production 3.8.1 * Media Central 2.10

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 3:39 AM In reply to

• Steve Kistner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 19 2012
    • New York City
    • Posts 33
    • Points 385

Interesting the affected files (screenshot) are the same date & relatively close in time, but others in this same interplay folder path show file sizes...  Later report of file sizes being set to zero after "update from MI" makes me wonder if the files are created in an odd way on the shared storage, or exceeding designed file counts from the Indexer.

The last time I saw something like this, the site was using P2 ingest software that placed tens of thousands of files in a single folder, & was incorrectly writing directly to the indexed path, rather than to a temp or creating folder.  The end result was that the Interplay Media Indexer was inspecting the files when they first arrived & getting saturated with requests due to the file being updated while it was being copied to shared storage.  Incorrect file size was the least of the problems, but was one symptom.

Questions:

What resolution are you running for these clips?

Are the media files MXF or OMF?

Do they play in your editor? 

Is there more than 10 thousand files in this file path (bad as far as interplay/MI is concerned)?

(Suggest open object inspector in Access & navigate to the file locations tab, then check this location in windows explorer.  Alternately, right click & choose "reveal file" from the editor - if there are more than 10,000 files in this folder at the storage level, problems with MI will occur).

Was this media placed on shared storage by your editing software, or by something else - if the latter, please test import via an editor & see if symptoms persist with newly created content. 

Interplay/Storage/Editor type and versions may be helpful if problems persist.

Best,

- Steve Kistner

-- Steve

Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller