Latest post Thu, Sep 12 2013 11:41 AM by Pat Horridge. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:09 AM

• RumiHyatt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 11 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 20

Final Cut Pro X file transfer to AVID? Is this possible?

Does anyone know what software is needed to to transfer a project (and all high resolution files) from Final Cut Pro X to AVID, or know of someone that could guide me in the right direction? Hopefully it's possible to make a switch from editing softwares without too much pain. 

Thank you!

• Thu, Oct 11 2012 8:48 AM In reply to

• Kevin Smith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 21 2011
    • London
    • Posts 58
    • Points 875

Re: Final Cut Pro X file transfer to AVID? Is this possible?

Most people probably wouldn't want to attempt this because the software is so different. The only way I can see it possibly working is from FCP X use the plugin 10 to 7 which will bring the sequence into FCP 7. From FCP 7 use the now free plug in Automatic duck to export an AAF for Avid. I haven't tried it though, but it should work.

Media Composer 8.04 with Symphony option, MacBook Pro 15inch, 2.7 ghz Intel Core i7, Mac OS Yosemeti 10.10.3 16 GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 11 2012 3:57 PM In reply to

• RumiHyatt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 11 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 20

Thank you Kevin! Hopefully we make the transfer without too much of a hicup. 

• Thu, Oct 11 2012 4:22 PM In reply to

Kevin Smith:
    The only way I can see it possibly working is from FCP X use the plugin 10 to 7 which will bring the sequence into FCP 7. From FCP 7 use the now free plug in Automatic duck to export an AAF for Avid. I haven't tried it though, but it should work.

A few months ago, one of my clients got a project from one of their freelance producers - it was done in FCPX.  That was pretty much the method we used.  

One caveat was in the way FCPx deals with audio on the clips.  It basically seems to embed all audio channels into the clip.  So, he had some XDCam footage in there and it had 8 channels of audio baked into the video clip.  Of course, only 4 of them had anything on them and they were redundant between 1 & 3 and 2 & 4.  Anyway, the producer had cut together this piece that my client needed to tweak and add graphics to etc.  To achieve some of the effects in piece, the producer had stacked some clips on top of each other.  When it was exported to FCP7, those 4 stacked clips suddenly became 32 channels of audio.  Now add in a VO and a music track under everything and now you've got 35 audio tracks at least.  Avid wouldn't import the AAF from Auto Duck because you can't import a clip with more than 32 audio tracks.  

He ended up having to do a lot of clean up of stuff in FCP7 before sending it to Avid via Auto Duck.  It was a huge PITA.

Another thing that I learned about FCPx is that your projects are called "Events" and these get stored in a folder named "My Events" on your computer.  When you launch FCPx it just opens up and shows all of your Events in the Event Viewer window.  If you move one of your Events from the My Events folder, then you will not be able to work on the project becasue there is no way to navigate to an Event or another "Events" folder.  It only looks at My Events.  This is dumb because it basically means that you can't store your projects on an external drive.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Sep 12 2013 11:03 AM In reply to

• ryerye43
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 37
    • Points 550

Did any of you manage to use the xto7 for Final Cut successfully?

I'm trying to bring a sequence over to Avid of broll selects that my camerman created in FCPX.  I wanted to know if this process above described by Kevin has been tested successfully.

Thanks in adavnce.

MBP OSX 10.8.4 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8 GB SDRAM MC 6.5.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 12 2013 11:41 AM In reply to

Even moving legacy FCP 7 timelines and media to avid wasn't the easiest task in the world and enough jobs would raise issues that just eat up your time and any marhin on the job to the point it just sin;t worth it and certainly not giving he impression it's a viable workflow.

FCPX- to FCP7 to Avid just seems a disaster waiting to happen and the clearest mesage to pass back is NO.

If you manage to get it to work once you'll be expected to do that forever and if you have issues they'll become your issues.Currently FCPX is pretty much a standalone tool make it clear to anyone wanting to use it like an Avid or even a Legacy FCP it's not the tool to use.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller