Latest post Sun, Oct 14 2012 10:22 PM by usatraveler. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 12:03 PM

• losalnos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 2 2010
    • Posts 34
    • Points 410

Macbook Pro specs with AVID

Hi all, hope I'm not rehashing old ground. My laptop is dying and I think it's time to replace the old warhorse. As I'm a bit more flush I'm tempted with a Macbook Pro.

Without wanting to get into the Mac Vs PC debate (I know the arguements there and will make a decision) the thing I don't really know about is macbook specs. Generally speaking when I edit it's in post houses or systems rented by production on location, however it is crucial that computer can run AVID MC (for home projects and out of hours work) and perhaps even more crucially, it doesn't date too quickly. Here's the specs:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select

My first thought was to go for the more powerful 13" partly for price but to be honest primarily convenience. I like its slightly smaller size, suits better.

However it would appear from the specs that the 15" is more powerful? Is it? Is less powerful 15" still more powerful than the top end 13"? Then there's the graphics: I know AVID recommends the NVidia graphics cards if building a work station (the particular model range escapes me just now) so with that in mind should i be looking at the 15" models because they have nVidia chips controlling the graphics? Also, the 15" you can configure to get a 7200rpm hard drive in whereas the 13" you can't. But does this really matter? Is it just a red herring and becase it's internal the spin speed won't matter too much? The one thing I'm fairly certain about is that I'm not fussed about the retina display. No real interest.

Oh, just in case it's any use, I currently use MC4, but am in education so regardless of system I'll probably upgrade to 6 using AVID's (rather cracking) education version.

Anyway, any help or recommendations would be great because only when I know whic Macbook pro is really appropriate, can I guage the cost and therefor decide whether or not I want to go Mac or stick with PC. It's always the tricky bit deciding how much you're willing to spend to improve longevity and right now I'm pretty in the dark!

• Fri, Oct 5 2012 3:06 PM In reply to

Re: Macbook Pro specs with AVID

My thoughts as a Macbook Pro user:

-I like the bigger screen - just more pixels to work with.  More space for the bins, timeline, composer, source, audio tool, etc. - the more pixels, the more screen real estate you have.  On my 1440x990 15" screen, I do often wish I had a little more space - and I miss my former 1920x1200 display on an older Dell laptop.

-15" isn't really all that much larger physically.  2" diagonal difference means little more than 1" difference in the width and depth directions.

-The dedicated graphics card helps.  For video, it really takes a huge load off of the processor, which is so busy doing other things.  Having the dedicated card also enables CUDA features, which I don't think Avid uses much of on the Mac right now, but it could prove more useful down the line.  Other applications do use them - Squeeze is one, the Adobe suite does as well.

-The 7200 RPM drive is a helpful upgrade, just cuts down on programs lagging while trying to run.  Furthermore, SSD is a really nice thing to have - I haven't had the opportunity to use one yet, but many people say it's the kind of thing where once you use it, you can't imagine going back.  I'd strongly consider it when it's time for me to replace, especially as prices are dropping on them.

-13" has a dual-core processor.  15" is a quad.

Overall, the 13" to 15" jump brings a significant list of performance upgrades - upgrades that have direct benefits for video editors.

I'm still happy with mine, back from 2009, and I don't see a need to replace in the near future.  Looking back, maybe I wish I'd taken the 17" with an ExpressCard slot for I/O devices, but I've been able to work around that.  Thunderbolt on the new ones is really a game-changer I think.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 6:43 PM In reply to

• losalnos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 2 2010
    • Posts 34
    • Points 410

Thanks for that. One other thing regards tinkering! Specifically regarding upgrading and warranty. I've read on other forums (and I ask because it could be total hear-say) that if you upgrade your system yourself you void apple's warranty. The reason I ask is say I went 15" but the less powerful 2.3Ghz model, that comes with 4Gb of Memory. Apple will let me upgrade it to 8, but for an additional £80! Thing is, if I bought other memory from Crucial or corsair or the likes, I could get 16Gb for £60! Would that affect my warranty though if I was to do that? 

• Fri, Oct 5 2012 7:57 PM In reply to

On most models, RAM is a user-replaceable part.  Therefore, replacing it will not void your warranty, unless you damage your system in the process.  The warranty would not cover your new RAM, though the rest of the computer is covered.  The RAM manufacturer should have its own warranty.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 14 2012 4:05 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,385
    • Points 97,005

losalnos:
    I've read on other forums (and I ask because it could be total hear-say) that if you upgrade your system yourself you void apple's warranty. The reason I ask is say I went 15" but the less powerful 2.3Ghz model, that comes with 4Gb of Memory. Apple will let me upgrade it to 8, but for an additional £80!
    You might like to check out this link.  It appears that even if Apple do the upgrade themselves they may regard it as voiding any warrantee.

It also appears (certainly in the case linked to) that they may be prepared to spend much more in legal fees than the cost of meeting the warrantee.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 14 2012 10:22 PM In reply to

Fascinating article, jwrl - nothing to do with RAM or any other user-replaceable part, but still a good read.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller