Latest post Wed, Oct 3 2012 4:17 PM by Kevin Klimek. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 3 2012 4:06 PM

• JulieDole
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 3 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 75

Seeking help: importing Canon XF300 to MC6 - already downloaded patches

Hi,

Looking for help here on a possibly convoluted problem.

The producer shoots on a new Canon XF 300, and imports into his Avid MC6 on a PC, via fast USB.  Apparently, everything opens & plays fine for him.  Sometimes he converts to DNxHD 45, other times he cuts via AMA.

Then he gives me the media (along with some works-in-progress, to revise) and I have problem after problem either relinking (I did download and install the AMA patch and the Canon patch) - or when that fails, importing.

Whenever I am able to relink to AMA, I then can't export to create any outputs!

Then,  since I can't re-link meia tohis previous cut, he sends me FLV files to match cut to, and I can't import those into a timeline to view either... nor can I convert them via Sorensen, Compressor, or even FCP (I tried all of those.)  I can only open them on the desktop to view via Adobe (!)

I used to cut on Avid no problem, many versions ago, then went to FCP and recently came back.  I've cut Canon-sourced vid on FCP, and never a problem.  I did download and install the relevant patches from Canon and Avid for these codecs, etc.  The producer thinks I my Canon codec patch is an old version, or different than his, but it's the latest download they have online, just a month ago.

Please advise - grateful for your input!

Filed under: , , , , , ,
  • Wed, Oct 3 2012 4:17 PM In reply to

Re: Seeking help: importing Canon XF300 to MC6 - already downloaded patches

I'm sure the file path is an issue when moving from PC to Mac, and that is what Avid is using to create the links.  If you're going to work that way, I'd strongly consider transcoding instead of AMA'ing between platforms.

v6.5 has a much better ability to relink AMA, so that might also be a potential solution.

Finally, we use the free MPEG Streamclip to convert FLV files to QuickTimes.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller