Latest post Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:43 PM by Matt Feury. 42 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 10 2012 12:25 AM In reply to

• Matt Feury
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 22 2008
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 39
    • Points 570
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

Re: What is AS-02?

Pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about AS-02 and MXF can be found at www.amwa.tv.

• Mon, Sep 10 2012 12:35 AM In reply to

• Matt Feury
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 39
    • Points 570
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

Pretty much everything you ever cared to know about AS-02 and MXF can be found at www.amwa.tv.

• Mon, Sep 10 2012 7:19 AM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 258
    • Points 3,265
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

Think about it as more of a final delivery format.  Instead of laying off 3 different HDCAM tapes with different audio tracks or subtitles or whatever per the specification of some network you are delivering a show to, you could send them an AS-02 volume containing all the different versions they require.  It's like a tapeless version of a tape master, or several tape masters.

I'd say "if you don't know what it is, you probably don't need it" Smile unless you're delivering shows to networks, who over time might start requesting them instead of tapes (hint: Sony has their HDCAM-SR codec for files..)

• Mon, Sep 10 2012 7:37 AM In reply to

Matt Feury:

Pretty much everything you ever cared to know about AS-02 and MXF can be found at www.amwa.tv.

Yeah, that website has been linked to in this thread. I think Avid might do a little more effort to explain it, when it is one of the top listed features of the new version, though. At the Amsterdam Supermeet, Adam Green had two slides on it and did a brief explanation that was insightful enough for people to determine if it was something for them.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 10 2012 7:53 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

ManChicken:

Think about it as more of a final delivery format.  Instead of laying off 3 different HDCAM tapes with different audio tracks or subtitles or whatever per the specification of some network you are delivering a show to, you could send them an AS-02 volume containing all the different versions they require.  It's like a tapeless version of a tape master, or several tape masters.

I'd say "if you don't know what it is, you probably don't need it" Smile unless you're delivering shows to networks, who over time might start requesting them instead of tapes (hint: Sony has their HDCAM-SR codec for files..)

Finally! An explanation I understand. Thanks.

• Mon, Sep 10 2012 4:38 PM In reply to

• CColton
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 17 2011
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,730

Can someone tell me more about AAF with consolidated media because I'm not sure what you mean. I've been just archiving by creating a DNxHD copy (for transcoding later if needed) and then archiving the project folder and original footage. I then delete the Avid media because I can just batch import the sequence in the future if I need to.

Freelance producer/editor/videographer, Colton Media Productions

Specs: Avid Qualified HP EliteBook 8760w | 
    MC6.5 | Intel i7-2640M CPU @ 2.8 GHz | 8 GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadra 3000M | Windows 7 Pro | Software-only, I have no Avid hardware. | After Effects CS4 | Nuke 6.3

• Mon, Sep 10 2012 4:54 PM In reply to

CColton:
    Can someone tell me more about AAF with consolidated media

It's an AAF file and MXF media. Consolidated, so just the parts you included in your final sequence. But all media that the sequence refers to can then be stored, and if you need to work on the project again, you import the AAF.

If you create a DNxHD copy (QT?) you have all the titles and effects and such baked in, making it impossible to change them.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 10 2012 6:02 PM In reply to

• CColton
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,730

Job ter Burg:

It's an AAF file and MXF media. Consolidated, so just the parts you included in your final sequence. But all media that the sequence refers to can then be stored, and if you need to work on the project again, you import the AAF.

If you create a DNxHD copy (QT?) you have all the titles and effects and such baked in, making it impossible to change them.

Yep the DNxHD copy is QT. And does it consolidate media into the Avid MediaFiles folder or a folder with the AAF? And other applications can use AAF, right?

MC6.5 | Intel i7-2640M CPU @ 2.8 GHz | 8 GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadra 3000M | Windows 7 Pro | Software-only, I have no Avid hardware. | After Effects CS4 | Nuke 6.3

• Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:20 PM In reply to

• CColton
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,730

Just looked in detail at the AAF export options and answered my own question Smile

• Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:26 PM In reply to

ManChicken:

Yes but they should have Avid 6.5.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:36 PM In reply to

• CColton
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,730

Will AAFs created in MC6.5 be readable by earlier versions or by other software, like Adobe or FCP? (I don't usually touch those but you never know)

• Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:40 PM In reply to

• Matt Feury
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 39
    • Points 570
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

There is a video overview that was made for AS-02 that should be posted shortly.   I submitted it prior to IBC.  This is a feature that will matter primarily to people delivering content to broadcast entities.  HBO has repeatedly been cited as not only a prime example, but also a partner with Avid on this effort.  There's certainly some truth to the "if you don't know what it is, you probably don't need it" line that I've seen in this thread.   This technology is an effort to get out ahead of the curve and address a common set of obstacles content creators face when finishing and delivering projects.  This is also why it was important for Avid to jointly develop this technology as a standardized method amongst multiple vendors.  You may not need AS-02, or the JPEG2000 codec, today.  But many people do, and you may sometime soon as well.  Since I'm typing all this on my phone, I'll skip going onto the same details you'll see on the aforementioned video or the motherlode of docs on the amwa.tv website.  Version 6.5 of the MC product family was intended to have a mix of forward looking tools:

AS-02, JPEG2K, Active Format Description Flags 

as well as some features customers were already asking for:

64 Audio Voices, Improved Audio Keyframing, Advanced Relink tools, Better drag and drop editing in the tineline, Ability to share I/O hardware more fluidly with 3rd party apps on the same system, etc.

Hopefully there are things in there that customers can find enough value in to upgrade/buy/switch/whatever.  If not, that's ok too.  MC 7 looks like it could be pretty cool.

• Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:43 PM In reply to

• Matt Feury
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 39
    • Points 570
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

Please forgive the typos and my failure to sign off properly in the previous post.  I will never type another long winded post on my phone again.

Sincerely,

Matt

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller