Latest post Mon, Dec 15 2014 4:44 PM by Kevin Klimek. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 28 2012 12:09 AM

Problem ingesting C300 footage

Hi there,

I'm trying to link to some footage shot last week on a Canon C300 to edit on MC6. We have it on MXF files.

I keep getting this message:

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }

• Exception: FATAL_ERROR, msg:DIDDescriptor: GetAAFProperties: XDCAMHD unsupported resolution, file:/Snapshots/relengsnow5_1319677901/coresw/ame/Projects/Mac/../../src/msm/DIDDescriptor.c, line:2775

I know others have encountered problems and I've explored the options detailed elsewhere on these forums. these have included:

-installing Canon's XF Plugin and the Avid AMA MXF plugin. i have the 64-bit version of the former and the appropriate version of the latter (i have MC6 v6.0.0, so have v.1.5)

-adjusting the project setting from 24p to 23.98p, as advised elsewhere.

And nothing's worked!

The file paths for the cards have not been changed, aside from the original card names (numbers) being changed to 'day one' etc.

I have a feeling there is something very simple going on, but I just can't find an answer anywhere. Apologies if this is a major rookie error!

Can anybody advise?

best,

Andrew

• Tue, Aug 28 2012 12:45 AM In reply to

Re: Problem ingesting C300 footage

We had this issue too.  Install ALL the AMA plugins you can.  Not just the generic one and the Canon one.  All of them.  One of the others aids in this, and I think it might be the XDCAM one...since this is an offshoot of XDCAM. 

Install all the AMA plugins you can, and then try linking via AMA.  We are in the middle of a 9 episode series shot with two C300s, and things have been smooth.  After we installed all the AMA options.

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 12:07 AM In reply to

Hi Shane,

Thanks for getting back to me - I've tried this and nothing seems to be working... Working off MC 6.0.3, and the following plugins are installed:

AMA PLUG-IN NAME COMPANY NAME VERSION

-------------------------------------------------------------------

AVCHD MTS MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.0

MSP_MXF Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.5

MSP_SonyXDCAMEXMP4_64bit Sony Corporation 1.5007

AVCHD MVP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.0

MVP_CanonXF64 CANON INC. 2.0

MVP_MSP_ARRI_MXF © 2011-2012 Hamburg Pro M

IkegamiGFCam Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 3.6

PanasonicP2 MVP_MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 2.5

QuickTime Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.2

RED R3D Plug-In (R3DSDK v4.2) Avid Technology, Inc. 1.7

MVP_SonyXDCAMEX_64bit Sony Corporation 1.5007

SonyXDCAM_64bit Sony Corporation 1.3031

As you can see, I've got three Sony XDCAM plugins on there. this is driving me nuts! any other suggestions i may be missing?

thanks in advance,

Andrew

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 12:21 AM In reply to

Hmmmm....and is the FULL card structure of the C300 intact?  They didn't just copy some of the files off of the card, but made a new folder, and copied everything? And I mean EVERYTHING.  If the directory structure is messed up, then AMA won't work

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 12:29 AM In reply to

Interesting - I'm working with the files backed up by the Canon utility into my documents folder.

the directory structure for a specimen clip is:

/Users/andrewlowry/Documents/Canon/XFUtility/Day One/CONTENTS/CLIPS001/AA0019

could the root of the problem that the 'day one' folder has been changed from the name the card came in as?

really appreciate your help chief - i feel like a bit of a newbie with this stuff...

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 6:52 AM In reply to

Looks right.  Now, you need to choose DAY ONE when you choose it via AMA.  And really, you should store them on an external drive, that will be your backup drive.  And get Shotput Pro...that app automates the backup process, and verifies that all the data is there.

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 8:20 AM In reply to

• Brian Suttie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,570

I would try opening a card using Canon's XF uitlity to determine exactly what frame size and frame rate the clips are.

The only problem we've have with C300 footage is expecting 1080/50i and receiving a mixture of 1080/50i and 720/50p

If you have a mixture you will need to use two different projects to ingest the appropriate footage.

If you're having problems with AMA and don't want to transcode then just import the mxf files directly - we've found it faster in many cases.

regards

Brian

"We'll fix it in post"
    "This is post"
    "aaaahh"

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 10:20 AM In reply to

Don't worry, I have the files backed up! that's what I've been doing, choosing day one. I just don't get this - I've tried it in both 24 and 23.98 projects, I have all the plugins...

I think the root of the problem is with the XDCAM thing. i keep getting this message:

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap;

Exception: FATAL_ERROR, msg:DIDDescriptor: GetAAFProperties: XDCAMHD unsupported resolution, file:/Snapshots/relengsnow6_1343949798/coresw/ame/Projects/Mac/../../src/msm/DIDDescriptor.c, line:2781

AMA

so it would appear it doesn't like XDCAMHD, which (a) I thought was a Sony product, not Canon, and (b) I have the up to date plug-ins for anyway!

I just don't know what to do here... Thanks, though, for your help!

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 10:22 AM In reply to

Hi Brian,

Just checked - we're def on 24 and 1920x1080.

And if I try to import files normally, I get the same message:

Exception: FATAL_ERROR, msg:DIDDescriptor: GetAAFProperties: XDCAMHD unsupported resolution, file:/Snapshots/relengsnow6_1343949798/coresw/ame/Projects/Mac/../../src/msm/DIDDescriptor.c, line:2781

AMA

so it would appear it doesn't like XDCAMHD, which (a) I thought was a Sony product, not Canon, and (b) I have the up to date plug-ins for anyway!

I just don't know what to do here...

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 11:18 AM In reply to

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Belgium
    • Posts 203
    • Points 2,630

I've heard that sometimes AMA plugins don't work well with other AMA plugins. Trash the XDCAM AMA plugin and try again.

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 12:23 PM In reply to

Just tried that - no joy!

This is so frustrating - I can't find this problem anywhere online, and I just don't know what to do!

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 12:44 PM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2011
    • London, UK
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,260

Try this: Go to the Avid MediFiles/MXF/ and inside the MXF folder create a new folder called "9" and then copy some of the MXF files from you orignal rushes to folder "9" and then run Media Composer. This should index folder "9" if this index goes well, then you open the Project and created a new Bin and then go back to fodler "9" and grab and drop the following file to your new Bin "msmMMOB.mdb" this will bring all the clips in from folder "9"

Let us know how you get on with this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/azemkola [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 29 2012 12:48 PM In reply to

• Brian Suttie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,570

Have you tried the direct import of an mxf file in both a 24 and a 23.976 project?

regards

Brian

EDIT : I don't think Az's suggestion will work as the Canon files are OP1A rather than OP Atom - but may be worth trying anyway

Are any of the mxf files small enough to post somewhere?

"We'll fix it in post"
    "This is post"
    "aaaahh"

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 1:01 PM In reply to

Hi chaps,

Just tried Az's suggestion - I get the same message, then Avid crashes altogether...

Brian - yes, I've tried direct importing - same bloody message!

Just for convenience, here's the message again:

• Exception: FATAL_ERROR, msg:DIDDescriptor: GetAAFProperties: XDCAMHD unsupported resolution, file:/Snapshots/relengsnow6_1343949798/coresw/ame/Projects/Mac/../../src/msm/DIDDescriptor.c, line:2781

Could the problem be with my machine? I'm updating my OS now just in case...

And I've found a quick one that's 15mb, a false start i think. would be AMAZING if you could take a look at it...

It's also worth saying how grateful I am that more experienced editors are helping here - I'd be lost without you guys!

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 1:46 PM In reply to

• Brian Suttie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,570

Happy to take a look if you can post that 15mb file somewhere

regards

Brian

"We'll fix it in post"
    "This is post"
    "aaaahh"

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller