Latest post Wed, Aug 22 2012 7:32 PM by Pat Horridge. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 22 2012 4:13 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Can't Consolidate AMA Linked DSLR Footage?

Hi, Everyone.

I'm relatively new to Avid.  I cut a sequence in Avid MC6 by first ama linking to Canon DSLR h.264 files and then transcoding to DNXHD36 for smoother editing.  Once I finished my edit, I had a devil of a time relinking to the original H.264 files, but somehow I was eventually able to do it.  Once I got to that stage, I hit a roadblock though, because what I wanted to do was consolidtae the project - widdle it down to only the footage I used in the edit - with handlebars (Media Manage to all the FCP users).  But, I found that I could not do this.   I recieved an error message, saying something to the effect that I had to transcode to a native format (or something like that).  So my main question is this: is it simply not possiblle to consolidate the original H.264 footage using Avid Media Composer?  Can you only consolidate a project using an Avid-based codec? 

My workaround was to export an edl from MC6, open in in Adobe Premiere CS6 and then do the consolidate from there.  However, for obvious reasons, this is not a very acceptable way of dealing with the problem.  It would be great to get the official word on this.  Many thanks.

-Scott

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 22 2012 4:23 PM In reply to

Re: Can't Consolidate AMA Linked DSLR Footage?

Ah such a simple problem with a simple solution.

You can only consolidate content that MC supports as a native resolution. H264 as used in the DSLR cameras isn't a native MC resolution (it's not available as a media creation choice) so consolidate won't work.

And to be honest you don't want it to work. H264 is a great codec for aquisition (well adequate lets say) but for editing media it's far too compressed and compelx to deal with.

So much as you transcoded to DNX36 you would transcode to an online resolution like DNX175 or 185 at the final stage.

So the answer is yes you can only consolidate from an Avid supported codec (but this includes a lot of codecs other than DNxHD). If it's not supported you need to Transcode.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Aug 22 2012 4:48 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Thanks, Pat.  

That clarifies things.  I didn't want to get locked into an Avid specific codec at this stage, because I'm not sure when I'll finish the project and on what system, but needed to free up space on my drives.  So, I was trying to widdle everything down, but keep it in it's original state.  I do find this sort of issue a bit of a knock against Avid.  But, there are lots of things I like about it and the whole ama thing was defintiely a step in the right direction.  I just hope the program continues to get more flexible.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 22 2012 4:59 PM In reply to

But with AMA linked sources you don;t need to consolidate or transcode any footage.

Just save the project and the original source files and you have all you need. That's one advantage of AMA.

I'd just do a DNX36 mixdown as a guide and drop that above to help you check the AMA re-linking when you come back to it later.

The combination of AMA and robost Avid media management is only achieved by the fact that Avid isn't like PPRO. If Avid opened the door and accepted anything then we'd lose the robust Avid media management many of us can't survive in post without!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

Filed under:
  • Wed, Aug 22 2012 5:16 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

I guess I understand the closed system model...sort of like Apple computers.  My only problem here is that I need to widdle down the original footage, because I don't have room for it.  As you say in your last post "But with AMA linked sources you don't need to consolidate or transcode any footage.  Just save the project and the original source files and you have all you need. That's one advantage of AMA."  But, what if someone can't save the original source files?  I desire the ability to media manage my material.  If you've got the budget to archive all of the rushes for every project, then the avid AMA with no cosolidation model works, but if you need to pair down your rushes for budgetary reasons, it's a problem.  I do hear what you're saying about keeping a closed system though.

• Wed, Aug 22 2012 6:17 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

S.Clements:

But, what if someone can't save the original source files?

You of course need to save your origin files somewhere, with tapes it was easy, just to put them in a drawer.

Now with filebased media you have to think of some other solution unless you want to buy new cards all the time.

I´m using a Raid 5 myself for that purpose and for very important media I copy it also to a Raid 1.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Aug 22 2012 7:32 PM In reply to

We wouldn't even consider dumping original tapeless rushes it's effectively the same of trashing the original source tapes once you have a master playout! LTO backup is a cost effective long term answer and short term multiple hard drives work (there is a risk of failure of course)

If saving the rushes isn't important I can't see transcoding to another format should be much of a barrier but to be honest I'd never even suggest not saving the original tapless rushes. Storage is cheap. Shooting time isn't.

-

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller