Latest post Tue, Aug 7 2012 9:58 AM by Juris Eksts. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 4 2012 12:12 AM

• Kyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 29 2012
    • Posts 135
    • Points 1,685

Easily replace clip with longer clip

So often I'll find myself with a certain clip in a sequence I need to replace with a (inevitably longer) different clip, but often something (usually sfx) will be overlapping it. The fastest way I've found so far is to insert the new clip ahead of the old clip, lift out the old clip, then trim the remaining filler back. A simple insert will either throw things out of sync down the line ,or if sync locks are on, chop out part of the overlapping clips. Does anyone know of a simpler way to do this? In essence I'm trying to go from this

gofromthis

to this

gofromthis

The relationship between 19z/2 and 19b-3.sync.01 should stay the same.Thanks for any sugestions you have

• Sat, Aug 4 2012 2:22 AM In reply to

Re: Easily replace clip with longer clip

I usually have IO as one of my 2 lines of timecode above the composer window.
    One way would be to mark in start of A3 mark out end of the clip on V1 Write down (or remember) the IO duration. (This is the duration you will be temporarily cutting off A3 and A4.)
    Change the mark in to the head of the V1 clip and cut all layers. Insert new clip all layers selected. Trim A3 and A4 backward by the duration you wrote down.

• Mon, Aug 6 2012 4:38 PM In reply to

• Kyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 29 2012
    • Posts 135
    • Points 1,685

Thanks, thats an alternative. Anyone else have any ideas?

• Mon, Aug 6 2012 5:13 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 640
    • Points 8,490

Kyle, you are bound to get a number of different ways that people do this.  I would cut out the clip, and that portion of the audio sfx along with it.  I'd then insert the new clip and using what's left of the sfx, I extend it back to where I want it to start.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 7 2012 9:58 AM In reply to

I usually lift out the shorter clip, leaving a gap, witht the FX clip overlapping that gap, INSERT the longer clip at the beginning of the gap, and trim back the incoming clips, keeping sync lock.

OR replace edit (blue arrow) the clip at its shorter length and trim out (keeping sync lock) to the extent of the wanted shot.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller