Latest post Thu, Jun 26 2014 11:14 AM by Sef. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 30 2012 8:04 AM

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Maarssen, The Netherlands
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,650

My next camera. What should it be?

I'm still using my Canon HV20 HD camera. I'm very pleased with it. The main reason why I'm happy with camera, is that it works on mini tapes, each about 60 minutes long. I transfer/capture to MC6 through my firewire.

No problems. Some might think this is "old fashioned". I would agree, since I did not see the mini DV camera's in store anymore.

I've done some work for other people and I'm not so happy with the results so far.

Some camera's record on internal memory (SD cards?), giving me a format like MOV. I've to convert this first outside MC (f.i in Liquid or Squeeze). Other camera's have mini DVD discs, giving the well known DVD format files, like VOB. Also not possible to import in MC. And each conversion leads to loss in quality.

So my question is, what type of camera (consumer) is now adays the best choice. It should be possible to import directly into MC.

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jul 30 2012 8:19 AM In reply to

• Moses.M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 9 2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 651
    • Points 8,100

Re: My next camera. What should it be?

Sef:

Some camera's record on internal memory (SD cards?), giving me a format like MOV. I've to convert this first outside MC (f.i in Liquid or Squeeze). 

depends on the camera. take a look at Avid's AMA workflow. it will allow you to access the MOV's without the need to convert them first.

HP xw8400 - 6GB RAM | W7 64 bit | MC 5.5.2 | Adrenaline with DNxcel Sony Vaio SB1Z1 - 6GB Ram | W7 64 bit | Blackmagic Design Ultra Studio SDI [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 30 2012 8:21 AM In reply to

• Peter Beek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 1 2010
    • Harderwijk Netherlands
    • Posts 77
    • Points 995

Sef, I am working with my Panasonic TM900 with 32 GB intern memory and extern memory by SD card. I do have a 64 GB Trancend SDXC card. Works perfect and the image quality is to say it in Dutch ' zo scherp als een mes ' (as sharp as a knife). Its about the size of your camera, the stabilization is very good so you may think about this.

Wish you luck and wisdom by your choice,

Peter.

Case : Antec P180. Power : Antec BP500U. Motherboard : Asus P6T deluxe V2. Processor : Intel Core I7 920. Memory : Kingston 8 GB Dimm DR3. Graphic Card... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 30 2012 3:07 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 730
    • Points 11,135

Here's what you want.  If the most important thing in the world to you is shooting for a long time onto a tape or card, then look into an HDV format camera (z7u is what I have). The cards fast-import into Avid pretty quickly and easily. Tape is only for backup.  The quality is not as good as other cameras, but HDV file-size is impressively low therefore allowing long records for events and whatnot.

If image quality is more important to you, get a good DSLR.  They are inexpensive and give the best image for the money.  Depending on the camera, however, you will be limited to 12 minutes shots and less than 1 hour per 16GB card.  This would be my choice because DSLRs shoot absolutely amazing video (the Canon 5D Mk3 would be my choice). Import from card is equally a breeze. But be aware, audio on DSLRs can be difficult.

So, it's whatever suits your needs. It would have helped to know what you shoot.

Whatever you do, don't get a camera that records to DVDs. Those are worthless for everyone in every situation.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Mon, Jul 30 2012 4:14 PM In reply to

As a filmmaker who probably spends as much time shooting as I do editing, I'm a big fan the Sony EX1R.   For the money, the quality is fantastic and XDCAM EX is a solid tapeless workflow.   I think it blows away anything in the price range.  

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, Jul 30 2012 4:24 PM In reply to

Sorry, I missed the part that you are looking for a "consumer" camera.   If that is the case, the EX1R may be out of your price range.  

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, Jul 30 2012 5:01 PM In reply to

I'm similar to Peter, only I use a slightly earlier model, the Panasonic TM700.  All the same plus points and you can just copy the files from the built in card to your hard drive from where Avid MC will access them via AMA link without transcoding.  Fabulous quality, great usability and by the way, also takes excellent still pictures!

Highly reccommended.

Derek

MC8.5.1; Asus P9X79; Intel QuadCore i7 3820 3.6Ghz; 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro K2000, driver 353.82; W7 Home Premium 64bit; Quicktime 7.7.3; Hitachi 250GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 30 2012 6:09 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,851
    • Points 24,235

Hi Sef,

I use the TM900 along with others in this thread.  I migrated to it from the Canon HV30, which I dearly loved.  Used the Sony GVHD700 deck for firewire transfer.  My reason for swithing was I wanted something more reliable than tape.  I feel that the images from the TM900 are sharper than the Canon, and I like the reduction in size.  The 32 gig internal storage is quite a lot, and I use a Lexar 128 gig class 10 SDXC chip for additional storage.  The 3 chip camera gives me much better low light capability also.

Denny

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 30 2012 10:59 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,322
    • Points 53,440

Sef,

Depends on what you want to spend...as said earlier, the Sony EX-1R is an amazing camera, around $6000us and quite large. In the HDV arena, the Canon XH-A1s is still a great camera..

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Mon, Jul 30 2012 11:01 PM In reply to

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Tue, Jul 31 2012 7:36 AM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,650

First of all: I want to thank you for being so helpful. I realize that I did not give too much restrictions from my side, as that would probably have resulted in less advices.

Bottom line is that as was seen by some, that the camera should be within my budget. That is, up to $1200. Because the camera is mainly used for recording holidays, it should not be too big. On the other hand, it should have very good stabilization. Then, of course, it should produce a very good HDV footage (I'm PAL, so 25 fps), suitable for viewing on a HD TV Set in the best quality. I want to be able to shoot up to 4 hours without having to copy the footage to PC in order to free the space in the camera. That would probably mean that I have to buy expensive SD-memory cards? How much space do I need for 1 hour of movie in HDV quality?

I now convert all my footage from MC6 (I always transcode my footage to DNxHD185 first) to Squeeze8.5 Pro, and make a high quality MPEG2 movie. This movie is recorded on a USB-drive, which I can connect to my Samsung HD TV. This way, I have the best quality (for me) and do not need a BR-disc. I don't have a BR burner.

I don't have any plans to start filming in 3D. So that is not a requirement.

I also think that, having the correct camera, I should not be worried to record in AVCHD and use AMA. But a good tutorial on how to use AMA in MC6 would be fine.

I agree that the tape versions of the camera's come to an end.

One thing else: discussing these requirements in a general store like Mediamarkt, is not helpful. The staff is willing to sell, but does not have too much experience in specific questions. Maybe others have different experiences, but mine are not soo good.

That's why ask you for advice.

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:30 AM In reply to

• Peter Beek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 1 2010
    • Harderwijk Netherlands
    • Posts 77
    • Points 995

With the intern memory of 32 GB the manual stated 4 hours and 10 minutes. On my 64 Gig SD card I can film 8 hours and 30 minutes. Filming in AVCHD and 5.1 sound. With the supplied HD Writer AE 3.0 program I take all my stuff from the camera to my harddisk and working with MC 5.04 I import all without any problems.I use the intern memory for taking stills and the card for filming.

Good luck.

Case : Antec P180. Power : Antec BP500U. Motherboard : Asus P6T deluxe V2. Processor : Intel Core I7 920. Memory : Kingston 8 GB Dimm DR3. Graphic Card... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 8:51 AM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,650

Hi,

it took some time and again I'm still very interested in buying a camera that does not use the (mini) tapes. Mostly recommended was the Panasonic TM-900. That camera will probably no longer available. I found the PANASONIC HC-X920, which seems to be as good as, maybe better. As times proceeds, the quality will increase, I guess.

My question now, is that I want to be able to take shots from something in front of me (f.i. a face at 2 yards) and that the background is unsharp. A focus matter. This camera has an objective that goes down to f1.5 For me, that looks as if it is possible to make these shots.

What can tell (you) the experts on this? Is it possible with camera?

BTW sellers in the shop hardly understand what I want. They are only interested in selling. If I ask: is this possible, the answer is of course: Yes.

• Wed, Mar 5 2014 4:09 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,851
    • Points 24,235

I too am searching for a new camcorder.  I think the new Sony HDR CX900 looks like a good fit for me pending reviews when it becomes available.  The Canon HF G30 also looks like a possibility.  The image sensor to me is a big factor in why I am leaning toward the Sony.

Hope this helps,

Denny

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 6:13 PM In reply to

• Henk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 281
    • Points 3,925

Hè Sef, long time ago, i also use à Panasonic HDC 900 and the Panasonic HDC TM 700 ( TM = twin memory internal 32 Gb and also card is possible) 700 has à problem, stabilisation is not working anymore, but filming on tripod is stil working.

good quality camera's, but i have also the Canon XH A1 , this one is using tape but i am very happy with this camera.

Panasonic i use also on holiday and as second camera for live recordings.

Recom Powerstation black with Recom Pro Engine M850 Power/ Processor Intel Core i7 920,s1366 2,66Mhz QPI/ Memory = 2 x 3 x 2Gb (total 12Gb)/ 2 HD 750Gb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller