Latest post Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:59 PM by Marc_89. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:55 PM

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 4 2011
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

The difference between Media Composer 6 Academic and Symphony 6 Academic

Hello!

I've been once told by an editor in my country that Media Composer and Symphony are he exact same applications, but Symphony has extra features as Secondary Color Correction. Is that true?

Well now students can get Symphony as well, and it is the same price as Media Composer. Is it really the same stand alone application as Media Composer with extra features? For the same price?

If yes, I bought Media Composer Academic, is there any chance I can upgrade to Symphony Academic?

Or is it just an upgrade, to give Media Composer Academic those Symphony extra features? So, if one wants Symphony Academic, he/she should buy the Media Composer and Symphony Academic packs?

Best wishes

*Media Composer Academic 8.2.0* on a Mac with OSX 10.9.5.* iMac late 2013 Intel Core i7 quad 3,5Ghz, 24Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX780M, Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:13 PM In reply to

Re: The difference between Media Composer 6 Academic and Symphony 6 Academic

Symphony and Media Composer are identical except for additional advanced controls in the Color Correction mode and the ability to do universal mastering (with a Nitris DX) in Symphony. There is currently an upgrade path from MC to Symphony which will expire this Friday, June 15th. 

Marc_89:
    I bought Media Composer Academic, is there any chance I can upgrade to Symphony Academic?

I'm not sure what would be involved in doing that, or if that is possible. Perhaps Marianna can chime in with details.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:19 PM In reply to

Quoting her:

" Folks,

MC is available for Academic students and institutions however Symphony is only available for institution purchase."

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:19 PM In reply to

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

Hello Larry.

I read this information here http://community.avid.com/forums/t/99283.aspx

So if MC and Symphony are really stand alone applications, and Symphony is the same as MC, but with additional features (just repeating it to make clear) why would they be the same price for Academic users? Shouldn't Symphony be more expensive? There is nothing mentioned about Friday 15th in the Academic information above.

Guess I have to hope Marianna sees this threat.

Best wishes 

*Media Composer Academic 8.2.0* on a Mac with OSX 10.9.5.* iMac late 2013 Intel Core i7 quad 3,5Ghz, 24Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX780M, Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:30 PM In reply to

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

To George,

from where did you quote this? I did not find it in the Information above.

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:36 PM In reply to

I've pinged Marianna. We should hear from her soon.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:38 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

The Academic pricing for products is always the same.  The reason why folks may be confused by what I posted is there isnt a Symphony Academic Student producted offered.  There is only a Media Composer student copy available.  So if you are interested in Symphony and are a student then you can ONLY buy the Symphony commercial version.  The Symphony promotion for those with FCP or XDV, Xpro or MC that wish to upgrade to Symphony commercial ends June 15th.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:40 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Larry Rubin:

Marc_89:
    I bought Media Composer Academic, is there any chance I can upgrade to Symphony Academic?

I'm not sure what would be involved in doing that, or if that is possible. Perhaps Marianna can chime in with details.

No - Academic products do not qualify for the promotion.  An academic upgrade to a Commercial version is available for MC only. Again, there is no Academic Symphony Student product available - only Symphony Institution copies.

The FAQ is a good thing to read.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/Avid-Symphony-6-Crossgrade-and-Upgrade-Frequently-Asked-Questions

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:44 PM In reply to

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

Oh okay, thank you for joining in Marianna. So the Symphony Academic prices can only be bought by an institution, not by a single sdutent. However, I am able to upgrade my MC to Symphony only until Friday? Even if my MC is an Academic version? So I can upgrade my MC Academic to an Symphony Commercial? I guess its those pices http://shop.avid.com/store/category.do?category=avid-symphony-upgrades (wich would be out of my league anyway, haha).

Do I get it right?

Best wishes

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:59 PM In reply to

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

Ah I thought so. 

Guess I am too slow in writing. How stupid to believe Academic could be cross upgraded to Commercial...

Thank you very much for informing me.

I also see now that this threat is off topic and usually doesnt belong to 'getting started fast'...

I apologize for that... I guess I posted it here because I found Updated - Getting Started for Students and Educators here as well... Again, I am sorry for that.

Best wishes

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller