Latest post Mon, May 14 2012 7:13 PM by Kynrois. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 13 2012 8:02 AM

• Kynrois
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 15 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 240

MC 5 Unable to re-link media clips

I am working on a project from a different editor off of a drive I received today.

A handful of my master clips have not re-linked to the MXF files that are on the drive. The only difference I see between these clips and the ones that do re-link is the source DRIVE from the clip info. All of the clips that succussfully re-linked have the current drive listed in the DRIVE columb: J1 (drive I am working off of). The offline clips have other drives listed under the DRIVE column and I'm not sure what to do from here.

I am using MC 5, but I don't know if my project was originates from another version (I'm pretty sure it is 5 since the GFX imported without any issues).

I have also tried to use AMA to link the the MXF files, but this crashes Avid every time. I am new to working with Avid outside of a post-production house and this is the first time I've tried to use AMA, so the crashing is probably due to my misunderstanding of AMA's funtion(s).

All help is appreciated!

• Sun, May 13 2012 8:42 AM In reply to

• Blueminerva
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 1 2009
    • London
    • Posts 48
    • Points 620

Re: MC 5 Unable to re-link media clips

Sounds like a database issue to me. Do the media files for all the clips in your avid exist as MXF (i.e. has everything been transcoded from the original files onto the media drive), or are some of them running just off AMA?

Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon Quad 12GB RAM OSX 10.7.2 Avid 6.0.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 13 2012 9:47 AM In reply to

• Kynrois
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 240

The files exist as MXF and in one case a tape has duplicate MXF files, but I don't know how to tell Avid to differentiate.

• Mon, May 14 2012 7:49 AM In reply to

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Belgium
    • Posts 203
    • Points 2,630

It's my experience that the relink feature looks at the tape, duration and name of the clip. If the relink doesn't work, check the tape column. MC needs a tape reel, if there is not a tape reel (because of import rarther than ingest) then MC will not relink.

In other cases, delete database and rebuild.

• Mon, May 14 2012 7:55 AM In reply to

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Belgium
    • Posts 203
    • Points 2,630

Sorry, i was wrong. I think MC looks at TC, duration and tape reel to relink. Not the name of the clip.

• Mon, May 14 2012 9:03 AM In reply to

Before a master clip is re-linked to new media it will show the last location of the media it was linked to.

So the clips that show the correct drive location have re-linked the ones that don't haven't and won't show that until they do re-link You can't modify that.

Ypu have misunderstood the difference between AMA and linking external media files and MXF files inside Avid using Avids media management. These aren't the same or interchangeable.

If the media files where in Avid Media Folders in numbered folder under the MXF folder then forget AMA that isn't involved here.

Do a search for deleting media databases and if on a PC check file permissions.

Use media tool to "see" what clips it finds on your drive.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, May 14 2012 7:13 PM In reply to

• Kynrois
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 240

Thanks for all of the responses!

Deleting the media database did not work, but simply going through Media Tool did. Each clip that would not re-link had a different master clip with the same name--I'm assuming this was the issue, but that's just a guess.

Thanks again for the help!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller