Latest post Wed, May 9 2012 7:57 AM by mjolnarn. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 9 2012 7:46 AM

• Editosaurus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 11 2012
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 54
    • Points 615

Trimming H.264 clips before importing

Hey there,

I have a large documentary project I'm about to import. There is a lot of footage (150hours) shot on DSLRs, and as you can imagine a lot of that is junk, I've run through my clips and deleted those that are useless, however there are some I would like to trim before importing - to save space.

I've looked all over the place and there is obviously no way of trimming the h.264 files themselves, due to their GOP compression. But I was hoping that in Avid there was a way in which I could log and import them, so that Avid transcodes a trimmed version of the full clip? In the same way that FCP7's log and transfer would allow.

Also, in order to save more space I am working offline in DNxHD36 and plan to do my own online in DNxHD175 or Prores HQ. I'm allocating unique tape numbers to all the clips, so I'm assuming I'll be able to consolidate and reimport the files at the higher resolution. However, if I do trim my clips on import will this cause me problems with reimporting?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

James.

2014 MacPro, 6 Core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon E5, 64Gb RAM. Dual AMD FirePro D700 Graphics. OSX 10.10.3 Avid MC 7.0.4.3 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, May 9 2012 7:57 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: Trimming H.264 clips before importing

I believe that ama is the answer to all your questions.

So, ama link to all of it and use only what you need, transcode that selection to your offline res and , when finished editing, take that offline offline ... ?  , relink to get the ama linked origin clips back and do your online transcoding from there.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller