Latest post Sat, May 12 2012 6:40 AM by jwing. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 27 2012 8:40 PM

• Editosaurus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 11 2012
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 54
    • Points 615

How to assign tape numbers to H.264 media.

Hi everyone,

I'm about to embark on project setup for a documentary edit on MC6 and have about 150hours of tapeless media from DSLRs to capture. I am limited for space, so am going to use DNxHD36 as the import codec and then online to a delivery format. So I'm assuming I'll need media with tape numbers in order to achieve this. I have worked out a tape naming standard Day-Location-Camera-ClipNumber, and am using Automator to rename the H.264 files right from the get go.

I don't have any idea however, how to assign incremental tape numbers to the H.264 files. The only thing I can think of is to use bridge and assign them all individually, but that will be incredibly time consuming. Is there a program where you can (like in Automator) say "Set Incremental Number" from... eg 01106001 and it will auto-assign numbers incrementally from there to the selected clips?

Perhaps there is a way to do it in Avid, but another spanner in the works I'm hoping not to have to import manually, rather to bring in the H.264 files with AMA then top and tail them to suit then consolidate. I've done a test and this works pretty well. But if there is a way to assign reel numbers I didn't see any way to do it during this process, and anyway, that wouldn't change the H.264 metadata so I imagine when the online comes there would be no tape number on the original media to link to.

So is there a 3rd party app anyone knows about that can do this?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

James

2014 MacPro, 6 Core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon E5, 64Gb RAM. Dual AMD FirePro D700 Graphics. OSX 10.10.3 Avid MC 7.0.4.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 27 2012 9:22 PM In reply to

Re: How to assign tape numbers to H.264 media.

QTChanger by Video tool shed is your friend. Try it on trial limited to 8 clips and then realsie that the bargin price is worth every cent.

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

I now advice tapeless workflows to use this first to add proper timecode and a reel number.

I also advice naming the files so there are no duplicates in the project.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Apr 27 2012 10:46 PM In reply to

Editosaurus:
    I am limited for space, so am going to use DNxHD36 as the import codec and then online to a delivery format.

The traditional way to do this would be to just Import the clips and then Batch Import on your pix lock seq choosing a higher resolution at that time.  Here's the rub though.  When importing QT files Avid doesn't look at Tape numbers or even TimeCode.  When imported, it knows that the clip is x frames long and so it counts the frames from the beginning of the clip to know what frames from that clip you've used in your sequence.  When you Batch Import, it actually re-imports the original full length QT source file.  So, if you have a 10 min clip and you used 10 secs of it, guess what?  it imports the entire 10 mins, but at your higher res.  

Having the files named based on "Tape" though is a good idea just from an organizational standpoint.  

I've never had luck Consolidating H264s brought in via AMA.  Transcoding may work, but Consolidating doesn't work because H264 is not a codec that Avid can Consolidate to.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Apr 27 2012 11:29 PM In reply to

• Editosaurus
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 54
    • Points 615

Hi Kenton,

Oh, I did mean Transcode not Consolidate, my mistake. Yes I've already tried that, can't consolidate from AMA of course. What I did in my test was bring in the H264 clips as AMA, trim them on the timeline then Transcoded the sequence to DNxHD36 for syncing (with pluraleyes) and editing. I then plan to consolidate the picture lock sequence at the end of the edit and import at high res.

But are you sure about the re-imports taking the entire original clip? That doesn't sound right. Surely if I consolidate the DNxHD36 picture lock sequence then I can re-import just the timeline clips plus designated handles at full res, right?

Did you also mean to say that tape numbers are unnecessary for an offline-online workflow like the one above? I'm confused...

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

James

2014 MacPro, 6 Core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon E5, 64Gb RAM. Dual AMD FirePro D700 Graphics. OSX 10.10.3 Avid MC 7.0.4.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 27 2012 11:31 PM In reply to

• Editosaurus
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 54
    • Points 615

Thanks Pat,

I remember checking QTChange out a while ago for a different task, and forgot about it. Sounds like what I'm after. Thanks,

James

• Sat, May 12 2012 12:01 AM In reply to

• Editosaurus
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 54
    • Points 615

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your suggestion to use QTChange. I've been using it and it looks great for changing timecode and reelnumbers, and I'm looking forward to trying to use it for framerate changes too.

However, I've changed the reel name on a series of clips with it (I've checked it in Adobe Bridge and they are changed in the alternate tape name box) but Avid doesn't recognise the tape number, I've tried both linking to AMA and importing, and neither of the methods recognise the tape number.

Am I doing something wrong?

I was told that Avid was wonderful for media managment, so far I'm seeing very little evidence of it. This wouldn't have caused any problem in FCP7. Just saying, I'd love someone to show me that I'm mistaken.

James

• Sat, May 12 2012 6:40 AM In reply to

• jwing
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 9 2011
    • Posts 41
    • Points 505

Editosaurus:
    However, I've changed the reel name on a series of clips with it (I've checked it in Adobe Bridge and they are changed in the alternate tape name box) but Avid doesn't recognise the tape number, I've tried both linking to AMA and importing, and neither of the methods recognise the tape number.

Same-- I was trying to use qtChange on a project awhile back and used it to add reel numbers but Avid doesn't recognize it as "tape number" so I'd also like to know how it should work...

MC 5.5.2 / MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 9 GB Ram / OS X 10.6.7 / Matrox MXO2 Mini / Euphonix MC Transport & MC Mix / Apple Cinema Display... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller