Latest post Thu, Apr 19 2012 4:42 PM by camoscato. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 8:22 PM

• uaHogs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 12 2012
    • Posts 39
    • Points 525

What exactly is importing?

Hello folks,

Well the title pretty much sums it up. I know how to import my files but I really do not understand what that means in terms of what is happening within the program and the computer. To add to the drama my disk space is almost full. I just bought an imac in Feb. and am new to both apple and avid. Honestly, a computer newbie except games and web browsing.

The video files are, I believe, .MTS files and they are massive.

I insert my SD card into the computer and drag the files to the desk top. Then, when avid is open, I drag them to a newly created bin. That is what I've done so far.

Thanks a lot.

Mid 2011 iMac, 2.8 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.2, AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB, 1 TB Serial ATA hard drive, QuickTime 10.1, MC 6."?" [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 8:39 PM In reply to

Re: What exactly is importing?

Hi,

A master clip in a bin consists of two pieces of information.  The first is called metadata, and that consists of what file name the clip came from, what audio and video tracks it has, what timecode it has, and things like that.  The second piece of information is the actual audio and video files that show up on the screen and through the speakers when the clip is played.

When you import, Media Composer notes what file name you imported, where you imported it from, what audio and video tracks it has, and what timecode the file has, and creates a master clip in your bin.  At the same time, Media Composer looks at the file's audio and video, and creates MXF media files, which Media Composer uses to play the video back.

Media Composer keeps the master clip information in a bin file on the same hard drive where Media Composer is installed, and keeps the MXF files on your media hard drive.

Hope that helps.

ciao,
    Carl

p.s. For the pedants in the audience who will bring up esoteric installs in which they've got Media Composer running off a thumb drive and all their media is in the cloud, remember the OP said he's a newbie, and might not benefit from hearing about your geekdom.  Smile 

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Apr 18 2012 9:36 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

One might also point out to the newbe that running MC off his C drive and keeping his media on the same C drive are not reccomended.  NOt only will it fill the drive up in a hurry, but it will potentially cause performance issues...

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 9:48 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Regarding filling up drives, I've used external drives with great success.  Not only have I used the typical external USB drives, I have a SATA drive dock that accepts any SATA or SATA-II drive and connects to the computer via USB.  When I filled up the first drive, I swapped another one into the dock.  A "bare" or "OEM" drive is much cheaper than an external.  The dock makes any bare drive an external.  If you're not sure what this means, I'll be glad to explain further.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Wed, Apr 18 2012 11:55 PM In reply to

• Woody
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • splicetraining.ca - Canada
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,595
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

In addition to everything said by the previous and thorough posters, I'd like to add that you have two ways to make file-based media usable in Media Composer:

1) Importing.  That's been covered enough, I think.

2) AMA Linking.  

When you choose File > Link to AMA File (or Link to AMA Volume, if you're using some pro formats like SxS/P2), Media composer doesn't make a copy of the original media, it just makes the clip in the bin that points to the original media at its original location.

Media Composer uses optional, free, plug-ins to help it work in this manner. You can grab them from avid.com/ama . Quicktimes don't require the plug-in, but other formats like Nikon and SLR clips do. 

AMA is of value to you when you have hte files already on your harddisk and you don't want to import them because you don't have much space left. When using AMA-linked clips, the performance of playback may be less than had you imported, but in exchange for that potential performance hit, you can edit the media without importing (which is very quick!).

For those MTS files, grab the AVCHD AMA plug-in, install it, restart Media Composer and if you use File > Link to AMA Volume, you can direct it to the dump of the folder from your camera and Media Composer'll link to all the footage, no importing required.

The workflow is that later, after using the AMA Linked footage, you'll use Clip > Consolidate to import just the the frames of the original footage that you ended up using, instead of the entire original clip.

We cover AMA vs.  Importing in extensive detail in Professional Picture and Sound Editing, but I think this might be enough to get you headed in that direction if you want to try it instead of the more traditional Import method.

Cheers,

Woody

Avid Certified Trainer

Author, Media Composer 6 Professional Picture and Sound Editing (MC201 course)

Splice Training, Canada

http://www.splicetraining.ca/mc101 | Watch my Avid Training Videos on YouTube

• Thu, Apr 19 2012 4:33 PM In reply to

• Ramalho
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 29 2007
    • Köln - Germany
    • Posts 22
    • Points 290

hi there. I am a total newbie and usually search the forum posts for solutions for my issues. today was the very first time I had the time/chance to just read the posts to see what's going on. man! I did learn a lot today! so I just want to leave here my thank you very,very much for the people that have the patience to read newbies questions and answer them in a way we can understand it. you are marvellous!

MC5.0.3.4; Windows 7; Intel Core i7-920; MSI MSI X58 Gold(MS-7522); Intel X58 (Tylersburg 36S)+ICH10R; 6GB Triple Channel OCZ3G1600LV2G; MSI N250GTS (MS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 19 2012 4:42 PM In reply to

You're welcome!  We were all new once.  Smile

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller