Latest post Mon, May 14 2012 4:12 PM by Terry Snyder. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 11:19 PM

• jaysonL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 24
    • Points 345

"Top 10 Photoshop skills" for an Avid Editor/assistant

I'm putting together a tutorial for some young assists.  I know everyone uses Avid and Photoshop in different capacities depending on the part of the business that you are working in but - What are some of the Photoshop skills that you find essential in your work?  Thanks in advance for your replies.

MC Meridian MC Adrenaline MC Nitris and Xpress Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 29 2012 1:08 AM In reply to

• Robert B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 7 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,005

Re: "Top 10 Photoshop skills" for an Avid Editor/assistant

Here are a few. 

1.) Convert CMYK images to RGB

2.) Resize ridiculously large images down to something reasonable - some plugins like moving picture have a size limit

3.) Become one with the pen tool to cut people/objects out of photos using bezier curves and put them on their own layer - useful for graphics or "2.5d" photo moves in AE. 

4.) Learn to use the text tool for times when the Title tool doesn't cut it and you don't want to use Marquee. I have a client who is very particular about kearning, line spacing and blending effects. 

5.) Save in PNG format when you need an alpha channel to come into the Avid without milky dropshadows. 

6.) Create DVD menus in Photoshop for use in Encore. 

7.) Use the self healing brush to get rid of unlicensible content and restore photos given to you for profile pieces. 

8.) Bring in vector formats like EPS/PDF for use in video projects. 

9.) Automate batch processes with Actions - helpful for resizing, processing or reformatting large amounts of images.

10.) sorry, the render just finished..got to go.

Regards,

Robert

OFFICE: 3.5 GHz Core i7 Late 2013 Imac running OSX 10.11 with 32GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096 MB. Avid Media Composer 8.5/ Pro Tools 12.4 MOBILE: 17"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 29 2012 2:24 AM In reply to

• jaysonL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 24
    • Points 345

Thanks Robert!  That is just the kind of useful infomation I need to get them started.  I appreciate your time and input.

MC Meridian MC Adrenaline MC Nitris and Xpress Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 11 2012 6:47 PM In reply to

• Johnny Diesel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 29 2007
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 60
    • Points 635

Here is a good tutorial from Richard Harrington about Photoshop for video editors:

http://vimeopro.com/rhedpixel/adobe-tips-and-flicks/video/38591533

Homebuilt: Win 10 on Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1, Xeon E5-1650 v3 at 3.5 GHZ 6-core, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K. Canopus... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 12 2012 6:22 AM In reply to

• jwing
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 9 2011
    • Posts 41
    • Points 505

I know this is less technical and a little more theoretical and maybe less important for an assist to know, but I think a primer on color theory and basic design and type skills is always good to have IMHO. An assist may not be making these creative decisions but for them to at least have a basic idea of how to make things look good (or create a decent title) can make everyone happier.

And yes, if they don't know what "bezier" means, put that one at the top of their list.

MC 5.5.2 / MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 9 GB Ram / OS X 10.6.7 / Matrox MXO2 Mini / Euphonix MC Transport & MC Mix / Apple Cinema Display... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 14 2012 4:12 PM In reply to

jaysonL:
    What are some of the Photoshop skills that you find essential in your work?  

90% of the time, when I use Photoshop, it's to create an Alpha channel version of a graphic (logos, etc.) that I received as a JPEG (or other non-alpha format) from a client.   The other 10% of the time, I use Photoshop for file conversion--to open a file that is not recognized by MC, and then re-save it as a format MC can import.    I don't even need the full version of Photoshop for these applications...we use Photoshop Elements which is powerful enough for these tasks.  

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller