Latest post Fri, Mar 16 2012 2:35 PM by Marc_89. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:20 AM

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 4 2011
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

Can't activate all audio tracks - Media Composer 6

Good evening.

I am editing a sequence that needs a lot of audio tracks right now. 15 to be exact. But I only can activate 12 at a time... What does that mean? I searched the internet but I didnt find anyone saying "Avid can only have 12 audio Tracks"... What is this? How Can I activate more audio tracks?

Best wishes

Marc

*Media Composer Academic 8.2.0* on a Mac with OSX 10.9.5.* iMac late 2013 Intel Core i7 quad 3,5Ghz, 24Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX780M, Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 16 2012 4:11 AM In reply to

Re: Can't activate all audio tracks - Media Composer 6

Depending on your drive speed, bandwidth, and number of active video tracks Avid will adaptivly play back as many audio tracks as it can.  Usually it is up to 16.  12 seems a bit odd.  do you have any Stereo audio tracks that would then total up to 16?

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 4:43 AM In reply to

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

Dead FunkyDragon

Yes indeed I have stereo tracks. This would explain why only 12 can be activated. But how can I reach higher track numbers? Why being able to have 99 tracks in a sequence if I only can activate 16? On the same machine I am editing on, adobes premiere lets me use numerous more active tracks. 

Best wishes

*Media Composer Academic 8.2.0* on a Mac with OSX 10.9.5.* iMac late 2013 Intel Core i7 quad 3,5Ghz, 24Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX780M, Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 16 2012 8:08 AM In reply to

It's a very old limitation in Avid MC. It's got to go.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:10 PM In reply to

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

Hello Job ter Burg.

What do you mean?

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:13 PM In reply to

Marc_89:
    Hello Job ter Burg.  What do you mean?

I can't speak for Job, but I think he means the limitation you have run into is something Avid should address.

As for your situation, there's nothing anyone here can do.  The limited number of audio tracks that can be played back is not an error; it's the way it works.  Sorry I don't have better news.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:25 PM In reply to

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

Wow that really is bad news...

I didn't think Avids limitation does already start at 16 tracks...

I have a fellow student next to me right now working with adobe premiere and laughing at me ^^' Ouch, that hurts.

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:30 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Marc_89:

I have a fellow student next to me right now working with adobe premiere and laughing at me ^^' Ouch, that hurts.

Just ask him to add 10 videotracks in PP above his 50 audiotracks , add some PIP : s and resizes to those videotracks and do some fast trimmings of all those tracks and keeping sync at the same time .....

Might be your turn to have fun when watching this ....

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:30 PM In reply to

If you tell us what you're trying to do, we might be able to suggest another way.  Or maybe post a screen shot of your timeline.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:47 PM In reply to

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

Well, I simply need more audio tracks... 

The sequence I am cutting has about 30 sec wich I have to compose with foley sounds.

I have 10 mono tracks right now: 2 for speach, 2 x for foleys we created for each character - makes 6, another 2 for ambient and special sounds going on in the background.

Plus 3 stereo tracks for special foleys we created. But I realized 3 is not enough I need two additional stereo tracks, because I dont want to trim the existing sounds to include new ones...

I suppose I have to mixdown the audio... is it that what you want to tell me? I supposed that will happen, but according to the volume of the new sounds I will add, I may have to change volume for some of the existing mono sounds, to keep them noticeable.

My workflow may not be perfect, I am still a student and MC learner (and there is no way to use Protools for this, we have Audition though...)

But right now I really could use more tracks :( 

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 2:14 PM In reply to

Marc_89:
    My workflow may not be perfect, I am still a student and MC learner

I understand.  What I was hoping was perhaps there were some blank areas on some of the tracks that would allow you to move some things around and accomplish the same sound with fewer tracks.  However, it sounds like you have material on every track for the entire 30 seconds, so there's no room to move.

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 2:35 PM In reply to

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

Yes, you are right, there is no room to move the tracks (any more).Thanks for the idea. I already did that and were able to clear one track :) Now everything is reasonable compressed and I can't move the sounds without trimming other sound clips within those 30 seconds.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller