Latest post Tue, Mar 13 2012 2:17 PM by Editor Mike. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 11 2012 7:46 PM

MC6 won't boot, MC 6 won't play video

I just installed the MC6 Trial fresh onto a fresh Windows 7 machine. It would boot, but video would not play in source or record monitors. I would only get black or a still frame while audio played. I checked and refreshed video drivers in an attmept to cure this issue, but now MC6 won't boot. it crashes as it completes the boot sequence intead of lauching the project, leaving me with a full white screen and a Windows failure notice. When I try to quit out of the locked up launch I get kicked to the blue screen of death.

I have tried re-installing MC6 to no avail.

I have been on Avid for 13 years and have never seen these issues. Please help.

Dell 360 workstation, Pentium D 2.8ghz, 8gb Ram, Quadra FX1400, Windows 7 Pro.

• Sun, Mar 11 2012 7:57 PM In reply to

Re: MC6 won't boot, MC 6 won't play video

A Dell 360 is a bit old, I used a refurbished one from 2003-2006 with XpressPro.  It's also no longer on the Avid Certified Machines list for v6.  

The initial issue of the video not playing would indicate that there was an issue with the graphics card or driver (or perhaps you simply had "Render-On-The-Fly" turned off?)  Probably when you "refreshed" the video drivers, not exactly sure if that means you re-installed them or just updated them, you may have created a conflict.  Uninstall the video drivers and install the version that is required for your version of Media Composer.  (ie, 275.89)

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:17 PM In reply to

This was a Xpress Pro machine that I have upgraded to Windows 7 and larger RAM. All the specs met the requirements so I moved forward. Maybe that is the issue, but I'm not sure how.

Render on the fly was on. I checked all the playback issues I could think of and found nothing to explain this.

Tried updating the video driver. System said it was current. I saw in the forum that there might be a conflict, so i installed 275.89 from the Avid download. That lead to the full-on crash and blue screen of death issues. 

I'm starting to think I should un-install MC6 and attempt MC 5.5

Thoughts? I really appreciate the help.

• Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:55 PM In reply to

To eliminate all variables and possibilities of "cobwebs", I'd install a brand new hard drive in the machine and start installing everything from scratch.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Mar 13 2012 1:25 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,237
    • Points 15,620
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Hi Mike, no worries. That system is a little old but it does look like you've upgraded the hardware enough for it to work. Where ypu are likely getting tripped-up is in the drivers that'll bridge the hardware to the MC6 software.  Check the MC6 readme here.  Check the NVidia driver number.  Check which version of QuickTime you are running.

That might seem silly stuff, but if you plan on using a system that 'officially' is declined by the readme, then you have to simply insure that 100% of the 'version environment' is set to accommodate.

Report back if there is still an issue.  Thanks!

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Tue, Mar 13 2012 2:17 PM In reply to

After more lack of success and further research it looks like the FX1400 video card is not compatible with MC6. NVidia doesn't even list it for support anymore. Sadly, video card upgrade does not appear to be an option due to system age.

I uninstalled MC6 and loaded MC5.5. Now things are rolling along beautifully.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller