Latest post Tue, Feb 28 2012 10:35 PM by Job ter Burg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 27 2012 11:10 AM

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,677
    • Points 20,445
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Disabled Audio in AutoSync Clips

Our assistant editor has just been processing footage from a new show, our first proper outing with Media Composer 6.0. She's receiving footage from a NanoFlash recorder and BWF audio from a digital recorder.

Her process for syncing sound and vision goes like this:
    1) AutoSequence all sound and vision takes.
    2) SubClip and sort each take.
    3) AutoSync sub sequence to create a sync clip.

Usually works fine. However we've run into a minor snag...

Everything goes fine until step three. As soon as the sub sequence is AutoSync'd into a sync clip the audio tracks get disabled. So she's having to open each one and turn the audio channels on in the Track Control panel.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue (or can you reproduce it?) and are there any ways to change this behaviour or re-enable the audio tracks for all the clips at once?

I've yet to try this first-hand, so far I've just been discussing it over the phone and watching (as much as possible) over a remote desktop connection.

FWIW the system is: HP Z400 Blackmagic DeckLink Studio 2 Media Composer 6.0.1

I've also shared this issue on the Avid L2 list, so I'll try to cross polinate any useful information I receive here or on the list.

HP Workstations with MC 8.4 64TB EditShare XStream Storage [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Feb 28 2012 6:48 AM In reply to

• Håkan Wärn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 21 2011
    • Stockholm
    • Posts 23
    • Points 310

Re: Disabled Audio in AutoSync Clips

I have the same problem. 35mm film has been telecined and transcoded to DNx 36 HD. Scenes has been thrown down into a sequence and synced with 48.000 .wav audio. Then subclip and autosync to generate a new sync clip. When I open up the subclip in the player there is no audio. If I edit it down to the timeline I have audio, but match frame leads back to the clip with no audio. I have a slightly bigger problem though because I cant even turn the audio on in the Track Control panel. It is blanked out. Also taking a group of subclips and eding them into the timeline will give me a sequence where only some of the clips on the timeline have audio. The others just have holes where the audio is supposed to be. Match frame and edit the clip back on the timeline and the audio is there. But the main problem is that there is no audio in the player so as for now I can't really use autosync which is a pain. Thankful for any help or workaround.

MacBook Pro. DNx 36 HD. Audio 48 mhz. The project is 1080i/50

MC 7.0.3, OS 10.9, MacBook Pro 15', 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram 1600 MHz DDR3 27' Thunderbolt Display [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 28 2012 2:11 PM In reply to

• Håkan Wärn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 21 2011
    • Stockholm
    • Posts 23
    • Points 310

MC 7.0.3, OS 10.9, MacBook Pro 15', 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram 1600 MHz DDR3 27' Thunderbolt Display [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 28 2012 10:24 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,677
    • Points 20,445
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Thanks Håkan,

I've forwarded the information to the assistant editor and hopefully she'll get a chance to test it tonight.

In general I've found there are a variety of things that seems to create disabled tracks (splitting stereo tracks to mono is another) - very frustrating. Especially if working on a lot of items.

HP Workstations with MC 8.4 64TB EditShare XStream Storage [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Tue, Feb 28 2012 10:35 PM In reply to

Dylan, is it clear and reproducable so we may escalate?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller