Latest post Tue, Nov 24 2015 10:27 AM by Dan_B. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 19 2012 2:34 AM

Font replacement behaviour...

When recreating titles on a machine which is missing a specific font which is needed, Avid brings up a dialog stating that the font is missing and that you can replace it with times new roman or whatever. 

Normally it tells you what the missing font is so you can chase it down.  When you choose not to let Avid use Times New Roman, the title regeneration stops at the point where it found a problem.  This is a pain.

Why can't you choose to just skip the missing font and recreate all the other titles that it does have the font for?  That way if there is another font which is missing further down the line you can build up a list of missing fonts rather than stoping, finding the font, starting, finding that you need another font, stopping, looking for the next font, starting etc. etc.  If there is a way to do this please will someone enlighten me.  If not, this would be a useful functionality. 

Also, is it me, or does Marquee just start replacing the font without asking you if you want it to?  I think i've seen a message stating that a font was missing and was replaced with another one.  Don't like that either!

I'm on 4.0.5 so appologies if this doesn't happen anymore.

Andi

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 MC 2018.9.0 Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Feb 19 2012 6:55 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Re: Font replacement behaviour...

Yeah, it is a bit of a PITA. However, if you do know ahead of time what fonts are missing , you can remap them. Open a new title, then select "replacement fonts" from the object window. This allows you to remap fonts. This info is store in a file on your computer so it sticks.

As for Marquee, it's a very poorly designed user experience. Not only does it replace the font without you being able to choose the replacement font, it also doesn't tell you what fonts are missing. There is a PITA workaround that involves creating end reading an error log to find out what is missing. Just avoid Marquee if at all possible.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Feb 21 2012 12:17 PM In reply to

Thanks Terry, unfortunately I have no say in what the editors are using for fonts so it's a fresh surprise each time they download something that "looks cool" and don't put it on the network or tell anyone.  Likewise, on this particular show Marquee is all they have available to them to create the effects they need. 

Something like a "dumpsourcesummary" but for fonts.  It can't be that hard, dumpsourcesummary already tells you all the other assets/effects in you sequence, just add fonts too!

Cheers,

Andi

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 MC 2018.9.0 Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 13 2015 3:15 PM In reply to

An update and workaround to this problem:

Take the sequence with the unidentified Marquee font/fonts.  Open the bin in a text editor (notepad etc) and search for "Text.Font.Name" using the search function of said text editor.  The font names are listed in the value column.

You can now build a font list in order to get the jump on Marquee before it starts replacing all your missing fonts for you.

Andi

• Tue, Oct 13 2015 6:20 PM In reply to

Very useful!! Thanks for sharing.

• Tue, Nov 24 2015 2:33 AM In reply to

• StanDaam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 4 2009
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Yes thankyou Andi for providing a solution to what has been an annoying problem!! Yes

• Tue, Nov 24 2015 10:27 AM In reply to

• Dan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 26 2013
    • Posts 152
    • Points 1,655

The font replacement is a bit of a pain as is choosing a replacement font on a machine with lots of fonts installed as the list doesn't have a scroll bar so can often fill the entire screen!

I know its also very frustrating that you can click cancel and then it doesn't prompt you again to remind you of the font name.

Great tip from ripvanmarlowe btw!

Two further tips:

Within Title Tool you can see the list of fonts being replaced through the Object menu.

If you want to reset the font replacments so that it prompts the user again or it no longer needs to repace X with Y then you can delete AvidFontSubs.avt, this is located within \Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\Settings\AvidFontSubs.avt

Hope that helps somewhat

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller