Latest post Fri, Feb 10 2012 3:53 PM by George Angeludis. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 10 2012 12:47 PM

Storage options without Isis/Unity

Hi all

I'm assisting on a 16 week shoot coming up which is being broken up into 4 blocks of up to 25 shoot days each. The editor and I will each have an Avid, but we will be unable to use shared storage like the Isis/ Unity. The workstations will be Windows 7 PCs with MC5.0.3.

So, at DV25 (our offline codec), each block should easily not require more than 2TB of storage for all the media and the project files etc.

The question is, should we use external 2TB harddrives (using E-Sata connection? FW 800?) or 2TB each of internal storage? Keeping in mind that I will have to clone the storage daily so that the editor and I are working in the 'same' project. Or maybe a mix where I work on an external and the editor works on an internal? I'm hoping that either way our machines will at least be networked so that we can 'see' each other's storage without having to constantly move data on external drives (especially when just copying bins around).

Any input on what brands of external drive are best for long-form work would also be appreciated. And if anyone knows of a copying tool that will make the 'cloning'/ 'syncing' of the data easier (ie it automatically can 'spot the difference' and copy just the necessary data) that would be a great help too.

Thanks

Tessa

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 1:36 PM In reply to

Re: Storage options without Isis/Unity

Are you going to work at the same time?

If not you just need an external e-SATA/usb3 or even usb2 for simple cuts.

You will have your project at My Documents>Avid Projects and at the Avid MediaFolder the media.

Now all that you will have to do is:

A) Unhook the external drive and hook it at the editor's PC.

B) Copy the project from Avid Projects to the editor's PC.

There are many other ways to do it but this is the fastest and the simplest

if you are NOT working at the same time.

This for a first thought.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 1:55 PM In reply to

Thanks for the reply George.

We are going to be working at the same time, so we can't share the same actual media drive. I will be getting the rushes and then transcoding, syncing and prepping bins on my workstation. Then I will need to copy eveything I've done so far to the editor's drives for him to use. Thereafter I will be exporting sync dailies, maybe cutting a couple of scenes or adding sound effects etc until the next batch of rushes comes in, while the editor continues to cut the material on his workstation.

So what I was thinking would be to have 2 identical external drives (probably e-Sata, if that's good enough performance). One for me and one for the editor. When I have new material to hand over to the editor, I copy all the new media files and bins onto his drive. I will also need to copy his bins back to my project from time to time if I am to be exporting assemblies or doing any cutting on my system.

Is it a bad idea for the project and the media to both be on the external drive? If not I would hope to be able to hook both e-Sata dirves (mine and the editors) to one or other machine and do some kind of 'sync' copy to make them identical once or twice a day.

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 2:26 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,244
    • Points 15,725
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Hi Tessa. Sounds like you have a good, logical head on your shoulders. For peak performance, editors who deal with long format (hours anmd hours of raws, dailies, etc) need to have all their media on internal drives or a dedicated raid system. Externals are fine and some people swear by their workflow, but ask any Avid Tech Support rep and they'll tell you the percentage of problems they hear regarding externals. So that's the editor's system.

Your system (Assistant, right?) can totally be on externals. I'd highly, highly recommend going against the modern trend of one mammoth 2TB drive. Go instead with three or four 500GB drives. More drives can be in more places at the same time. Also, the [Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1,2,3,4] structure that all your media resides in will work a little smoother and be a little less confusing. Media indexing simply happens faster with less media. Simple logic. Plus as your workflow slows down and more of the finished media is now on the editor's system, you can repurpose one or two of the smaller drives as graphics drives, or to send audio to the mixer, etc.

What brand of drive? Doesn't matter. Just remember three important things. First, always reformat the drive when you first get it. Never use the factory software provided with the drive. Second, before you get neck-deep in your workflow, do a test transfer on EACH drive... just to make sure all systems can see the drive. Third - and this is arguable - make sure the drive has its own power supply. Don't get ones that use the computer's power. You'll occasionally run into a situation where the system gets overtaxed and intentionally drops the connection to the drive in order to "conserve power". Silly, but true.

Post back if you need more info. Enjoy!

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 2:30 PM In reply to

What I am doing each time I am finishing a day's editing session, is to copy the new files of the project

at the external e-SATA where I always keep a backup of any project, I am working on.

I use MDV (which I can't live without).

Selecting the project I need, I hit the F5 and copying all the files to the external disk.

Then and because there are previous files of the same project there, it asks me if it needs

to overwrite those files. I select skip, so only the new files are being copied.

By this way, I always have faster, the new files at the old backup.

But by this way also you keep the rendered files as well, that you might not want or need anymore.

However this is the safest way for me than to consolidate.

By that way, everything I have worked on with at the current project,

it's on both my RAID 0 and my backup disk.

MDV.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 2:45 PM In reply to

Hi Pixel Monkey

Thanks for the compliment, and the tip re. having the editor on internal drives. I would agree that it's worth at least partitioning my own storage (even if its all on one drive) for easy management, just like I would use different workspaces if i was using Isis. Having separate drives/ partitions should especially help with keeping track of the render files, since both systems will be generating render media.

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 2:52 PM In reply to

Hi George

Thanks for the advice. Your link to MDV seems to have an error though, and I'm struggling with the Russian website it takes me to.

Do you have another link perhaps? Otherwise I'll look for something similar to keep the 2 copies of the media identical.

Thanks

Tessa

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 3:53 PM In reply to

Sorry for that.

This is not a link but a direct copy of the link location so you wouldn't have to open the site.

Try here at my Essentials thread:

Essentials.

Use the newest file as for 0.4 build 20.

Desktop PC

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller