Latest post Thu, Feb 2 2012 9:18 PM by CofB-TV. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 6:57 PM

• eyeglayze
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 5
    • Points 145

AMA Workflow with Facilis Terrablock

Hello all,

I have never experienced this level of frustration with Avid and a media storage device. My company uses MC 5.5 on Win7 64 bit systems and a facilis Terrablock 24D. We work in an AMA workflow from Sony XDCAM EX footage. We updated our MC at the sametime we bought the TB server so I don't know what to troubleshoot. We run fibre optic to all systems so bandwith shouldn't be an issue. Our systems are so painfiully slow; closing a bin, opening a bin, saving the project, dropping clips on the timline, switching from the desktop to avid, all these actions can take 15s-30s with all the screen turning white and not responding. I plan on doing tests to see if transcoding all footage to mxf will make a difference?

I am wondering if anybody else is experiencing this with AVID

All our systems are either XW8600(8 cores) or z400(8 cores) 8gb ram.

I am ready to toss in the towel.

Thanks 

• Thu, Feb 2 2012 7:00 PM In reply to

Re: AMA Workflow with Facilis Terrablock

I'd be tempted to move a test setup to local storage and see how that behaves. Then try with local project but remote media etc.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 7:12 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,403
    • Points 15,450

In my experience, that the material XDCAM EX through the AMA has a much longer response than the same material in the consolidation of AVID MXF. Will especially when sequences longer than 10 minutes. I use a local repository. Try to consolidate EX from the AMA.
    W.

AVID MC2018.12.1 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 390.77, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 7:40 PM In reply to

We actually have a very similar setup here. The only difference is that I'm using MC6 instead of 5.5, but I have the exact same issues as you. When working with P2 footage stored on the Terrablock server by AMA via fiber optic cables, the same sort of delays occur as you are experiencing.

I have yet to try moving the P2 footage to local storage to test the speed differences as I simply haven't had the time, but I'm going to try that myself and see if there's a difference. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has similar experiences and/or workarounds.

--Larry

• Thu, Feb 2 2012 9:18 PM In reply to

• CofB-TV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bloomington MN
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,485

We have 2 MC 5.5.2 systems running on Z800 6core machines connected via 8G fibre to our Facilis 24D. We were using local eSATA storage as of last October. But we moved everything to the TB 24D then and I can't say we notice much difference in responsiveness from the local storage. The TB is zippy as can be. All of our Avid media is MXF and we use AMA for the P2 content.

We use P2 content that we put on a dedicated volume on the TB. When I want to use it, I use "Link to AMA Volume" within Avid and the media pops into the bin YELLOW and is ready to go right away with no waiting. It handles like its local since its also on the same fibre channel as the Avid Media files except in the different volume. Not sure what might be your slow down or lagging. Did you have your installing dealer check it out? Maybe a call to Facilis? It might be a setup issue on the Fibre channel switch or HBAs? We had it installed, so I can't really help with those things. We don't have a Fibre Channel switch. We went direct to the 24D with 4 connection points. 2 Avids, 1 Z400 running a Digital Rapids encoder and 1 spare. We have several machines connected via Ethernet for logging, ingest and such.

Good Luck

System #1 HP z800 Workstation dual 6 core CPU Win 7 64bit 12GB of RAM with Nitrix DX - Media Composer 6.5.4 - 8Gbit Fibre Channel Client on Facilis TerrablockSystem... [view my complete system specs]

System #1 HP z800 Workstation dual 6 core CPU Win 7 64bit 12GB of RAM with Nitrix DX

System #2 HP z800 Workstation dual 6 core CPU Win 7 64bit 12GB of RAM with Nitrix DX

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller