Latest post Thu, Mar 15 2012 2:03 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 26 2012 2:41 AM

AMA Success Projects

Hello, We just started cutting projects using AMA. We shot with CanonEOS-7D on 16gig CF cards/MacPro/AvidMC5

Here are some pointers that we also learned from this forum:

1. Basic workflow: Mount AMA volumes - log/cut rough cut - transcode - refine edit/finish

2. AMA works great on quick-cuts with a hand ful of clips but..

3. if hundreds and thousands of clips, AMA becomes sticky. you have to transcode!

4. We're still using MC 5 but my trial experience with MC6, AMA feels a lot faster.

5. Backup/copy source clips on a local/server storage (yes, AMA works via server too!)

------

Here's some recent project I made using AMA.

Third Wave 2012 Highlights

Typhoon Sendong Update

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Wed, Mar 14 2012 8:24 AM In reply to

Re: AMA Success Projects

Ervz Tia (Tikboy):
    4. We're still using MC 5 but my trial experience with MC6, AMA feels a lot faster.

Can someone confirm AMA improvement on MC6? Editing is still sticky on MC-5.0.4. I'm now on a MacPro-8core (6G-RAM).

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Wed, Mar 14 2012 8:43 AM In reply to

I'd add to that workflow that pre sorting your AMA source clips is very important.

For "proper" tapeless stuff liek P2, Red, XDcam etc then just use named folders of teh original card contents.

For QT based basic stuff it's worth considering renaming files and sorting into sensible folder structures.

Get the whole lot organised first. Then make a complete mirror backup of the lot and keep the two in sync.

This allows the offline to work with one set and the online to prep and work with the second copy.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Mar 14 2012 8:53 AM In reply to

Thanks Pat. yes, very important to be organized.

So, about the MC6-AMA improvement..?

--

• Wed, Mar 14 2012 9:11 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,677
    • Points 20,445
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

AMA tracks a lot of information in memory. The ability for MC6 to address more system memory is certainly one way that AMA is improved in 6.0. 

I believe that some aspect of AMA were also rebuilt in 6.0 but I can't be sure which or what impact they'd have.

AMA-then-Transcode (or AMA-the-Consolidate with XDCAM/P2 material) is the most solid workflows in most cases, but certainly not the only option.

HP Workstations with MC 8.4 64TB EditShare XStream Storage [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Thu, Mar 15 2012 2:03 AM In reply to

thanks Dylan.

anyone else? any actual experience or comparison between speed of AMA on MC 5 & 6?

--

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller