Latest post Wed, Mar 7 2012 2:09 PM by Alex Tidow. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 2:29 PM

• Alex Tidow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 20 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Storage being used per resolution?

Hello,

We work with files in 2 different resolutions (MPEG 30 and MPEG2 352_25I) and I was wondering if there was a way to know how much space do we dedicate to each resolution.

Thanks

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 8:27 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,677
    • Points 20,445
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Storage being used per resolution?

I'm not totally sure I understand the question? It will depend on what you need to do with the footage and how much there is.

MPEG30 IMX is approximately 30Mb/s or 3.75MB/s. It will require ~250MB for every minute of footage, or 15GB per hour.

I'm not familiar with the other resolution you mention - is that XDCAM EX 35Mb/s? If so the storage requirements are similar. About 4.5MB per second, about 270MB per minute, or around 16.5GB per hour.

These are approximate calculations only, and the nature of compression and computer file systems means there can be some variation, but it's a reasonably guideline.

HP Workstations with MC 8.4 64TB EditShare XStream Storage [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Thu, Jan 26 2012 6:56 AM In reply to

In the Avid Help files, type "estimated storage requirements". This will bring up charts with the stirage requirements of various compression groups.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 26 2012 7:28 AM In reply to

• Chris Aust
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Munich
    • Posts 436
    • Points 4,765
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Hi Alex,

take a look at the performance guide, that will give you a hint about storage requirements.

You also need to consider how long the media has to be kept. As you use LowRes-Encoder you might have a Multires-Workflow with Archice, so you also need to consider restoring from Archive, which also uses storage. And it is not only about storage capacities! The amount of editing clients, ingest and playout servers determine the overall sytem bandwidth at your resolutions which leads to the amount of storage engines you have or might need.

cheers

-chris

MC/Symphony 8.7.2 | VMware Workstation 14 virtual Interplay on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 4.15.03| Dell XPS 15 |||| obsolete MacBookPro 17", 2.5GHz Quad Core... [view my complete system specs]

Chris Aust

Munich, Germany

Avid Workflow Consultant | ACI | Trainer

Splash!Zone

• Thu, Jan 26 2012 9:11 AM In reply to

• Alex Tidow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear.

What I want to know is how much storage we are actually using per resolution (hi-res and low-res) right now. I work in a newsroom and we are constantly ingesting, archiving, transcoding and partially restoring, so we don't know how much space we are using per resolution, which would be very useful as it would give us a real insight of how efficiently we use Interplay.

For instance, if I select 100 files in Interplay I can see the total file size, but I'd also like to have a breakdown per resolution, as most of those files will be a mixture of online files, nearonlines, partially online and offline.

I hope this clarifies my question.

• Thu, Jan 26 2012 1:35 PM In reply to

Do you want to filter each resolution and count how much space are you using?

Like this?

Try it in Access.

* Avid Media Composer 2018.2 * Interplay | Production 3.8.1 * Media Central 2.10

• Thu, Jan 26 2012 2:33 PM In reply to

• Alex Tidow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the way Access returns the search is by displaying all available resolutions and when you select it, it gives you the total size, so I don't have a way of knowing how much we are actually using per resolution, as you can see below:

Access Current Video Resolution

• Wed, Mar 7 2012 1:37 PM In reply to

the first couple fo answers here were correct... there's going to be some math involved. you have to caculate the duration of footage with each of your two resolutions based on the resolution charts. 

There is one way interplay can tell you the size for a bunch of clips without totaling up the duration. In Interplay Access select a group of clips that are online in both high res and low res and view that total space size. Then delete all of the high res media. Once the deletion is done highlight all the same clips again, which should now consist of just the low res media and get the new total size. That will tell you how much your low res is taking up. Then if you subtract that from the first number you get the total size for the high res.

• Wed, Mar 7 2012 2:09 PM In reply to

• Alex Tidow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Unfortunately, is not that simple in our environment as we use partial restore and we might have clips that are 1 hour long, so the low-res will be 1 hour long but the full-res might only be 1 minute long...

It shouldn't be too dificult for Interplay to return this value as it can be done on individual clips by going to "file locations" in the "object inspector" and highlighting the desired format.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller