Latest post Thu, Jan 26 2012 9:14 PM by Dave Messinger. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 23 2012 4:58 PM

Need some opinions and some help

In a while I will be spec'ing out a new laptop to use with MC (and Liquid). I currently have a laptop with a ATI grahics card as that is what Liquid wanted and it does work ok with MC 5.04. In going to a new laptop should I change to Nvidia for the video, optimizing it for MC and hope it will work still for Liquid?

I still use Liquid a bunch as it allow me to capture directly from my firewire based camera without having to have a tape running in it and for jobs I have to quickly I still us it as I am fast with it from experience. So having Liquid work is still very important to me. Note also that this will be a Windows 7 pro 64bit OS running on wither a i5 or i7 sandy bridge processor.

Which leads to the help question. Are the posts still out there somewhere for getting Liquid to work on Win 7 64 bit?

Thanks,

Jeff

MC5.0.4, Panasonic AG-AC130 HD Cam & DVC30 SD Cam, Sager 9170 laptop, 17" 1920x1080, i7 3rd gen, 8gb ram, dual Hd's, GTX675m graphics. Emachine... [view my complete system specs]

Created Design Video - "Video for the common man"

• Mon, Jan 23 2012 8:43 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Re: Need some opinions and some help

First you should be aware that you will run into problems trying to get MC 5.x and Liquid to run on the same machine...  The do not like each other. :-)

As far as the video card, I think you are better off with a NVIDIA for MC and I know Liquid will work fine with a NVIDIA card as I used one with my Liquid system.

Yes, I have had Liquid working under Win7 Pro 64 bit so I know that will work as well.  Beware of the conflict between MC 5.x and Liquid though..  I believe the problem was solved with MC 6 though, so you may want to consider that if you want to run both editors.

On the issue of speed in editing, I have no doubt that if you were to give MC some time you would find it much faster than Liquid.  I too am a Liquid convert and once I got rid of Liquid and started devoting my time to MC, I found myself editing faster than ever before.  You just have to give yourself a chance to get used to MC.

Good Luck to you!!!

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:06 AM In reply to

Thanks for the insight. I however have not have any problem with MC5 and Liquid on the same laptop. I don't run them at the same time is that is what you were referring to.

Jef

MC5.0.4, Panasonic AG-AC130 HD Cam & DVC30 SD Cam, Sager 9170 laptop, 17" 1920x1080, i7 3rd gen, 8gb ram, dual Hd's, GTX675m graphics. Emachine... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:24 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

almost40_3girls:
    I however have not have any problem with MC5 and Liquid on the same laptop.

Consider yourself fourtunate then and be aware that you may not be so lucky installing them on a new system.  It has something to do with the registration file used and most people had problems with it from what I read on here and based on my own experience...  Of course I now consider it the best thing that ever happened to me, because it forced me to go full on MC and I could not even consider going back to Liquid now. :-)

Good luck to you though, I hope it all goes smoothly for you!

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:52 AM In reply to

almost40_3girls:

....Which leads to the help question. Are the posts still out there somewhere for getting Liquid to work on Win 7 64 bit?

Should be - sometimes a google search works best. There is a Liquid forum that is archived in the Pinnacle forum somewhere - but not much on 64 bit there.    Regarding Liquid / MC on same machine, I think the Liquid/MC issue centers around the files in the Pixie folder in the ALL Users folder - the user.pu2 file.  Both programs use the same file - so sometime you may find Liquid running in Demo mode or MC not loading - and that is generally the culprit. 

I got a Dell M4660 with a NVIDIA card - which was a approved MC6 notebook - both seem to run fine on it.

Dell m4600, i7-2820qm, nvidia Quadro 2000M, driver 8.17.12.6696, 16gRam, Win7Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 24 2012 4:06 PM In reply to

WOW, I had totally forgot about that registration issue and yes I had it too, had to get Marianna to help me on that. Big pain in the rear! I was focused on thinking about using the software not just loading it and getting it going. Will have to rethink that one......

I actually am looking at a Sager 8150. One of the very few I found that had eSATA, USB3 and a firewire port. Know it is "not approved" but am fairly certain it will work.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Tue, Jan 24 2012 5:45 PM In reply to

almost40_3girls:

... looking at a Sager 8150. One of the very few I found that had eSATA, USB3 and a firewire port. Know it is "not approved" but am fairly certain it will work.

I looked at the Sager's, Alienware,  ProStar, Satori's, Lenovo - the Precision had all the ports you mentioned plus the nvidia 2000M which is on the approved  list (not sure how much difference that makes - just eliminates potential conflicts) - and  I got a refurbished model with same warranty as new and with 16 gigs, a great  screen - with some online discounts it was a similiar price.  FWIW.

Dell m4600, i7-2820qm, nvidia Quadro 2000M, driver 8.17.12.6696, 16gRam, Win7Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:41 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,322
    • Points 53,440

Up to MC 5.02 Liquid and MC can run together. MC 6 and Liquid can run together. There is a workaround to rename the Pixie folders with the versions that conflict, however.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Thu, Jan 26 2012 6:40 PM In reply to

Dave, did you get the Dell laptop through Dell or elsewhere?

Jeff

• Thu, Jan 26 2012 9:14 PM In reply to

through MerkAmerica - I sent you an email on it.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller