Latest post Tue, Jan 17 2012 2:03 AM by togethervisuals. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 9:57 PM

Want to change editing program to Avid but have concerns ...

Although, AVID does not provide upgrade from Studio to Media composer, for those who aspire to use Media Composer can Studio provide benefits? For example: 

• How much features and function does Avid Studio share with Media Composer?
    • How similar is Avid Studio's user interface with with Media Composer?
    • Will learning curve for Media Composer be shortened if user knows Avid Studio?

Is Avid Studio a viable stepping stone to Media Composer or is the divide between Studio and Media so great, there is no similarity at all? 

About me:

Create web videos and DVDs using a HDV camcorder and PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. Need ability to rendering AVCHD for web videos. Looking for alternative to Corel VideoStudio Pro X3. Experience with Final Cut Pro Suite too. 

I wonder if Is there an article or blog on topics above. Any clues appreciated. Thank you.

HDV camcorder and PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. CPU: Intel core2 duo E8400 3 Ghz, RAM: 2 Gb HDD: 3.1 TB, FreeNAS: 700 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 11:23 PM In reply to

Re: Want to change editing program to Avid but have concerns ...

togethervisuals:
    How much features and function does Avid Studio share with Media Composer?

None.  Unless you count manipulating clips around a timeline as a shared feature.

togethervisuals:
    How similar is Avid Studio's user interface with with Media Composer?

Not similar, except for a Source/Record/Timline based setup - but pretty much all NLEs share this interface.

togethervisuals:
    Will learning curve for Media Composer be shortened if user knows Avid Studio?

Not likely.  Someone who made the jump from Liquid might be able to testify their experiences.

togethervisuals:
    Is Avid Studio a viable stepping stone to Media Composer or is the divide between Studio and Media so great, there is no similarity at all? 

I would venture to guess it's about as much of a stepping stone as learning any other NLE would be.  There are things that are similar, but not "like riding a bike" familiar.  For example, I spent a little time Tues and Wed night working for another client on an Avid Symphony.  I would not have known they had Symphony (vs my usual Media Composer) had it not been for the boot screen and app icon saying "Avid Symphony".  The two are nearly identical in look, operation, function etc so an MC editor can easily drive a Symphony without noticing any differences at all really.

The thing to remember is that Studio is the offspring of Pinnacle, a company that Avid purchased.  They have been developing MC (et al) for over 20 yrs.  

Or to put it another way, I've never personally used Studio and would not be able to tell you how to accomplish certain tasks from memory the way that I could if you asked a similar question about MC.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sat, Jan 14 2012 10:30 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Those answers are pretty accurate.

Although I'm sure Avid/Pinnacle would dearly like Avid Studio to be a stepping stone to Media Composer, it isn't - not any more than any other editor anyway. As Kenton says, most editors have similarities with others in their workflows.  Avid Studio is about 12 inches nearer to MC than Pinnacle Studio ... that's 12 inches in about 10 miles.

I came to MC 4.5 from Liquid 7.2, and it was (for me) a very long and pretty gruelling learning curve - and with MC, one never stops learning.  Like MS Word - it is capable of far far more than any one individual would ever use it for.  MC 5 was slightly closer to Liquid workflows (or maybe the other way round!), and MC 6, I'm happy to say,  feels totally comfortable and familiar and - what other way is there to work?!

The jump from Avid Studio to Media Composer is ginormous - not just in financial terms (MC = roughly 10x the cost of Avid Studio), but also in capabilities.  With the HUGE amount of extra features comes extra 'complexity' (wrong word really - perhaps 'control', would be better).  By that, I mean that with more features available, there has to be more controls, more options to select when performing an edit, more adjustability and less 'automation'.  Avid Studio, like Pinnacle Studio, in spite of its apparent capabilities is, in my book, designed and created to help people make their holiday movies look better by 'click and drag'.  Presets predominate.  Of course it can be used to create 'story' movies and documentaries, but the complete control over everything and the vast range of features and effects offered by MC leave Avid Studio at the starting block ... which, if you know what Avid Studio can do, will help throw light, perhaps, on what MC can do.

The two programs are at the extremes of the spectrum - Avid Studio slightly in from one end, Media Composer definitely at the very top end. So to answer the question  - do you want to take that gigantic leap for what you want to do - I'd say, probably not: a mid range editor may suit your purpose more.

That said, I'm only a hobbyist, making movies for the pure fun of it.  But, roughly two years after first getting MC, I now wouldn't give any other editor a second glance.  They all pale in comparison.

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 10:39 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

There is one important question that haven´t been mentioned so much here and that is if the workflow in Studio is mouse or keyboard based.

I came from a keyboard based editing workflow in Liquid myself and didn´t have that much problems to also use my old workflow in Media Composer, many keys have the same functions and if you are used to a " add to source viewer - mark in and out - add to sequense " the exactly same workflow is used in Media Composer

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Jan 14 2012 11:01 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Avid Studio is more mouse based, as is Pinnacle Studio: keyboard shortcuts are available, but not to the same degree as MC - or Liquid.

I went from Pinnacle Studio to Liquid - and so used Liquid 'mouse-wise'.  When I had reason to go back to Liquid a while back, to revise an old edit, I was surprised to find that all the MC shortcuts worked exactly the same in Liquid. 

I beta tested Avid Studio, and I think keyboard use in Avid Studio is limited to a few basics - it simply doesn't have as many functions to control!  Most people I believe would use AStudio primarily with a mouse. 

Having come to MC via Pinnacle Studio and Liquid, it was indeed switching from mouse to keyboard that I found the biggest hurdle.  I was a 'jog-shuttle in one hand and a mouse in the other' editor.  I haven't twiddled the jogshuttle in months, and have to search for the mouse when I need it ... 

So yes. You're right! If you're a mouse user, the transition is harder!

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 3:28 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Maarssen, The Netherlands
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,650

One should keep in mind, that the requirements for Media Composer are much more demanding than they are for f.i. Avid Studio. In fact, only qualified PC's and video cards, can guarantee you that MC will work as it should.

Your current equipment could have been OK (more or less) for MC versions prior to version 6.

But now, MC6 requires Windows 7 professional, 64 bits.

The complete requirements/qualified PC's can be read here.

But don't forget: you then will play with the tool for the professionals (which I'm not!).

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 12:47 AM In reply to

Thank you for helping me set expectation on Avid Studio. I really want to move away from my current editor Corel VideoStudio Pro X3. 

HDV camcorder and PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. CPU: Intel core2 duo E8400 3 Ghz, RAM: 2 Gb HDD: 3.1 TB, FreeNAS: 700 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 15 2012 12:53 AM In reply to

Thank you for reply.

By the way, do you think Windows 7 64-bit can run 32 bit software? 

Does Windows 7 64-bit have an emulation mode for legacy software or does user have to run virtual PC within 64 bit environment? It seems wasteful to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit to run just one or two software application packages.

Any clues appreciated. Thank you.

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 12:55 AM In reply to

Thank you for reply. Apple Final Cut Pro had many useful keyboard shortcuts. It was great. 

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 1:55 AM In reply to

togethervisuals:
    By the way, do you think Windows 7 64-bit can run 32 bit software? Does Windows 7 64-bit have an emulation mode for legacy software or does user have to run virtual PC within 64 bit environment?

Windows 7 64 can run 32-bit applications without any trouble.  No emulation or other jumping through hoops is required.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 2:43 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

It even runs 32-bit flavours of MC with no issues.  In general Microsoft have been very good at maintaining backwards compatibility with their operating systems.  And I'm by no means a fan of Microsoft!

What you will find if you check is that 64-bit applications install by default into the folder Program Files as before, but 32-bit programs now install into the new folder Program Files (x86).  There's also a modified sytem level folder used for 64-bit drivers.  However the program folders are important.  If you're a user who likes to spell out where you put your programs, you must never use Program Files for 32-bit software.  Windows expects executable files in there to be 64-bit.

The next thing to know is that any anti-virus software or other low level programs will probaly fall over if you attempt to run a 32-bit version in a 64-bit environment.  Windows will often trap such badly behaved programs, but it's better not to rely on that.

Finally, one thing that 32-bit software gains in 64-bit Windows is increased memory capacity.  In 32-bit Windows you have a total of 4GB of memory available, which is shared by the operating system, drivers, background programs and the program that you want to run.  In 64-bit Windows, 32-bit programs run by themselves in their own shell.  They have access to the full 4 GB available if enough physical memory is installed.

There you go.  Probably much more than you really need to know, but I hope that it helps.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 15 2012 10:15 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Useful info there - for some reason I thought the new 64 bit programs went into the '64' folder!

TogetherVisual - reading one of your last posts, it seems that you want to move away from Corel Studio to Avid Studio, rather than to Media Composer? (Though the reference to FCP shortcuts...??).  That being the case, there is no question about it - Avid Studio has a far more 'professional' approach, and is a far better featured product, in my opinion.  I'd say it is probably well ahead of any other at that price range - and I have 'played' with most of them.  They all have benefits and good features of course, but Avid Studio seems the most robust to me.  In the mid range I'd choose Edius over Adobe every time - there is no Pinnacle/Avid product in that area.  And at the top end, where FCP used to hold some sway, with the latest invocation they seem to have shot themselves in the foot. 

I would definitely choose Avid Studio over Pinnacle Studio - though both come from the same stable.  Avid Studio has been designed afresh from the start, whereas Pinnacle Studio has been going for nearly 15 years now, and even though about 5 versions ago it went through a metamorphosis with a complete new engine, and is undoubtedly very capable, it has little room for expansion any more.

I believe all these programs have 'trial' versions that give you plenty of time to explore their features and get the feel of how they work.  This would be a useful exercise because, everyone has there own workflow preferences and you really need an editor that pampers those preferences whilst giving you the features you want most.

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 10:17 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

... their own work preferences ... Embarrassed

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 11:42 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Mike Shaw:
    all these programs have 'trial' versions that give you plenty of time to explore their features and get the feel of how they work.  This would be a useful exercise because, everyone has there own workflow preferences and you really need an editor that pampers those preferences whilst giving you the features you want most.
    That's probably the single best piece of advice in this whole thread.  We can all advise you on what we think is the best solution, but that's necessarily coloured by our own preferences.  Download MC, download Avid Studio, download any other NLE that appeals to you and try them out.  That will tell you way more than any of us can.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:43 AM In reply to

Hi Mike,

Thank you for reading between the lines. Avid Studio is the easiest upgrade for me from my current NLE. Thank you for sharing your experience using Avid Studio. 

I will definitely download trial versions of Avid studio to give it a spin. Later I plan to test Media Composer too. 

Take care. 

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller