Latest post Fri, Jan 13 2012 5:18 PM by Eduardo Serrano. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 5:06 PM

Should I mix quicktime and DNxHD mxf media?

Hi all,

On my process of upgrading my doc project to MC6, I rn into this doubt.

Because of all my errors while using AMA to link to my quicktime prores files, I decided to import all of my media to work in the traditional way. Since MC6 lets me fast import all my quicktime files, I used that and slowly relinked all my selects back to the media that is living inside my Avid MediaFiles Folder.

So, I need to gather some more new media and I am now mouting the AVCHD volumes throught AMA and transcoding those to native DNxHD. 

Is this going to cause me trouble in the future when I start mixing quicktime and DNxHD media on my sequences? Should I just keep on quicktime or it doesn't matter?

As far as I know using internal quicktime has one advantage over DNxHD: I can export quicktimes easier and faster. But, I cannot export AFF, apart from "linked to" option that is pretty useless since I won't be carrying all my AvidMediaFiles Folder to the colorist.

What are your opinions on this?

Cheers,

Ed.

Side note: I really don't understand how avid is positioning AMA. I have been having problems since version 4, and when I upgraded to 6 (from 5.5) I lost all my linked media even tho the computer and folder structures are the same. I've just read the AMA chapter on the manual and they are not saying we should use it for short form only. The only thing they advice all over is to not mix traditional and AMA.

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 14 Gbs RAM, Matrox MXO2 Mini, GTX970 OSX v.10.10.1 AVID MC 8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 6:53 PM In reply to

Re: Should I mix quicktime and DNxHD mxf media?

If I am understanding you correctly, you have some material imported at ProRes and some at DNxHD, correct?  (I wouldn't use the term "internal Quicktime" becuase other QT-codec files, like h264, have to be converted on the way in.)

I would be curious what happens if you export "same as source."  Is is a DNxHD or ProRes QT?  Or does it depend on what the first frame of the video is? 

You could always force an output to a particular codec for the final video, but it is possible there could be some slight color shifts (as in known to happen in external conversion tools) when you go from one to the other.

This is new territory, so some small tests might be in order before you commit.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:06 PM In reply to

Thanks Kevin for your thoughts.

I ran several tests like you mentioned and got interesting results. 

If I export a sequence as quicktime file "same as source" and my first clip is ProRes, it wlll register in quicktime player as a ProRes file. It plays well until it reaches the first clip that is DNxHD and it will freeze, even tho' audio still plays

If I export the same sequence again but swapping the first clip to a DNxHD one, it will register as a DNxHD file and it will play fine. Even tho' part of it is ProRes.

If I export the same sequence again, using the ProRes clip first, and choose "custom" and PR as my codec. it will export fine and play fine. The only glitch is that there will be a slight color shift only on ProRes clips, believe it or not. The DNxHD converts fine, ha!

It won't export as AAF unless I use link to file option only. If I use consolidate to a folder, it will only export if I check "transcode to" and check DNxHD as my codec. It will export fine and it seems to me that there are no color shifts.

Since most of my media is already ProRes, would you advice me to keep it as my codec for the new media I am currently ingesting?

Cheers,

Ed.

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 14 Gbs RAM, Matrox MXO2 Mini, GTX970 OSX v.10.10.1 AVID MC 8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:15 PM In reply to

Having mixed codecs in a QT file can cause all sorts of issues as you've discovered.

That's why I prefer to export to a specific codec even if that is what my content is. That way any mistaken renders or imports at the wrong format will be transcoded.

Or just transcode the sequence first and tell it to skip any content already at that format.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:43 PM In reply to

I just discovered that for my new media, Avid won't let me transcode the AVCHD AMA linked files to ProRes, only to DNxHD... so I guess I will have to live with a mixed timeline.

I hope I won't have any problems.

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:12 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Eduardo Serrano:

I just discovered that for my new media, Avid won't let me transcode the AVCHD AMA linked files to ProRes,

Works on my system

Eduardo Serrano:

so I guess I will have to live with a mixed timeline.

I hope I won't have any problems.

If you do that, you will have problems.

The correct way to fix it is to do a Video Mixdown of that mixed codecs Sequense.

As Prores might use another colourspace there might however be even better workflows.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Jan 13 2012 2:01 PM In reply to

Ok. My fault. The transcode is working so I will leave everything as ProRes. 

I hope it all goes fine.

• Fri, Jan 13 2012 2:48 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Yes, good luck, and " the other way " that I was thinking about was to ama link all and then transcode, will keep the CC levels correct.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Jan 13 2012 5:18 PM In reply to

That's how I am actually transcoding them.

So, I discovered it wasn't my fault in the end, the estimate that avid is calculating for Prores on the Transcode window is completely bogus. That's why it wasn't letting me transcode.

For example, for a 50mins clip it is estimating 360 gb for PR and 52 gb for DNxHD 145. My AJA calculator estimates it at 62 gb. So something is odd..

Is it a known bug?

Cheers,

E.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller