Latest post Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:23 AM by Dave Messinger. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 3:35 AM

How much $$ to produce this one ??

Ever have a clip you watch over and over - just cause you like the cuts, the way it's put together ?

This is one of the top five videos of the year - you may have seen it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY

Now letting go of obsessing over it - it plays in my head when I should be sleeping -   I had a couple of questions that I was interested in.

Not knowing the budget, how much do you think it cost to make this thing ?

Writers - Bolten -  Music score  - Lyrics -  Shooting  - Studio Time - Editing, etc..   It was done for SNL and promotion of Lonely Island new albulm.   I am just curious - nothing more - so don't spend much time on it.

Dell m4600, i7-2820qm, nvidia Quadro 2000M, driver 8.17.12.6696, 16gRam, Win7Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 5:08 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Re: How much $$ to produce this one ??

Depends on how much was post and how much practical.  I wouldn't like to put a figure on it.  For example, the club crowd could be fans working for nothing in their own clothes or 20 extras on a half-day rate in wardrobe.  The crow's nest could be practical or comped digital set.  While the gun fire and flame thrower are obviously comped, the effects could be stock footage, separately shot, or custom particle animation.

And so it goes.  Depending on the above (and any favours called in) you could put almost any figure on it.  What it does show - which you can't pay for - is impeccable planning though.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 10:22 PM In reply to

jwrl:

......Depending on the above (and any favours called in) you could put almost any figure on it.  What it does show - which you can't pay for - is impeccable planning though.

I think that is why I like it.  It flows nicely, I can see that it was well planned,  I think it was a farily easy shoot  ( might be wrong on that, but I think planned out not a hard shoot). A fun edit.  But someone had to do the lyrics, get the beat, have the vision, storyboard it, have the green screen studio,  have the friends, get it organized.   Maybe they just did it in the NBC studios, used available actors and camera people, had a construction or production crew and did it in a day.  You're right - no way to answer, no way to guess.

Maybe what I am more interested in is how many hours of editing might this take , give or take if you had the final audo layout,  the storyboard  or plan or vision,  and you got good footage from the shoot.

I probably don't  know what I am really asking for  - maybe I just liked the video and wanted to share.

Dell m4600, i7-2820qm, nvidia Quadro 2000M, driver 8.17.12.6696, 16gRam, Win7Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 11:49 PM In reply to

Well, I'll tell ya one thing I bet we can all agree on - Michael Bolton looks hideous in drag!Wink

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 12:31 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Oh, yes-s-s-s!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 12:44 AM In reply to

jwrl:

Oh, yes-s-s-s!

Dom DeLuise: "Sounds like steam escaping!"Wink

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 1:27 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

You got it.

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:23 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

Well, I'll tell ya one thing I bet we can all agree on - Michael Bolton looks hideous in drag!Wink

You just haven't watched it enough times.  Each role kinda grows on you in it's own way..

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller