Latest post Thu, Jan 19 2012 3:02 AM by PaulsProd. 77 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (78 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 11:15 PM In reply to

Re: MPG import incompatible? How dumb is this?

Kenton.VanNatten:
    Just wanted to say you're all class acts.  Well... except maybe Larry.  ;)  

(In best Curley voice): I resemble that remark!

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jan 14 2012 3:40 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,377
    • Points 96,925

Larry's not a class act - he's a whole production!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 7:22 AM In reply to

• Premek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 12 2012
    • Prague
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Yea but does not make any sense. 

MP Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (8 cores) 8GB (4X2GB) Mac Pro RAID Card 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive 1TB 7200-rpm Serial... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 7:34 AM In reply to

• Premek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 12 2012
    • Prague
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

George Angeludis:

First thing I have 2 Espresso machines.

I live by Espresso. I know the secrets and I can make you a really good one.

The quantity, the pressure after applying it to the handle, not more than 20 sec pass through and some more.

And there is no latte or cappuccino. The milk is forbidden as it destroys the taste.

Second it's not a matter of comparison because MC can't import mpeg's at all.

Is this kind of invitation for a cup of coffee? :-) If is I'm in. I love good coffee. I think we can live without mpg's but we can't live without coffee. 

MP Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (8 cores) 8GB (4X2GB) Mac Pro RAID Card 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive 1TB 7200-rpm Serial... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 7:35 AM In reply to

• PaulsProd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 6 2006
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,785

premek.rzounek:

Yea but does not make any sense. 

Certainly, it does not make sense - Yet another full day wasted on this. I feel so close all day, but another 6 attempts (with slightly changed settings) there is still no cigar. I was going to electocute myself if test about 4 ago didn't work, but then thought the next one would, so postponed my early demise.

Now I have another idea - I give away all my computer editing hardware, software, all my clients & my bills to anyone who pays the bills & me $200K pa to just stay away from the computers. [:'(]

System1 (I7-1). MC8.1, Squeeze9 Pro, Win7ProX64, ASUS X79 mobo, Intel I7-3930K, 16GB RAM, SSD System + 5TB RAID5 video data, NVidia Quadro FX1800, BD Burner... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 7:52 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Hi Paul, wasn´t you the guy I helped a couple of years ago, I remember some old aeroplanes.

Maybe we should go through your entire workflow, this just should work.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Jan 14 2012 8:24 AM In reply to

• PaulsProd
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,785

Tomas, we been talkin since early Liquid days, you helped me any times.

In this case, I had 3 very similar projects (concert videos), 2 i did all myself went flawlessly, this one i left to my colleage to edit for me, since 3 of the 4 cameras in the shoot were his, & the file he brought me started all this garbage about compatability & everything that follows. Cost me a week of work where i could have edited the thing myself, & still not working. i think i've treid just about everything.

System1 (I7-1). MC8.1, Squeeze9 Pro, Win7ProX64, ASUS X79 mobo, Intel I7-3930K, 16GB RAM, SSD System + 5TB RAID5 video data, NVidia Quadro FX1800, BD Burner... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 8:52 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ok, let´s see what I can do this time, first a comment to that Mpeg 2 file, as already said, it really is a finishing codec and not a distribution codec, you get generation losses for every time you change it.

About your project, as it haven´t been descibed so much, I will assume a couple of things, please correct me if I am wrong.

I assume that it is HD , 1920 x 1080 Pal interlaced , in short specs 1080 i 50.

So, the export out of PP , maybe CS 55 ? out from your colleages computer should have been Avid DNxHD 120 Pal 50 i if done correct , DNxHD 185 might also work, Colour level should have been set to 709 ( propably ) here you need to check with a test file first to see that you are getting correct colour levels, if the levels seems to have changed when importing into Media Composer RGB should have been used but just leave all this stuff out for now to not mess up this even more for you.

So, again, export settings in that box is 709 - no alpha ( I suppose ) - and DNxHD 120 50 i.

This file should fast import into Media Composer for you using these same settings , could we start here to see that this works, when the import process is running it should say " fast import " about the video.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Jan 14 2012 3:25 PM In reply to

Also, while doing all these tests it's probably wise to choose a short, under 1 min, section to test with so you're not waiting on the whole piece to export/convert/import.  Once you get a solution that works, then you apply it to the whole project.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 7:47 AM In reply to

• PaulsProd
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,785

Kenton & Tomas,

Thankyou for you comments & advice, & willingness to assist. So i will go into a bit more detail of what i have been doing, just for some light Sunday night reading, so if you're bored with Sunday TV, read on. But if you think this gets too cumbersome for this forum, we could take it offline via email or something. But then, I'm hoping that the latest changes I've made will bare fruit in a couple of hours time.

Tomas, you assumptions are pretty close. I had 3 concert projects in a week before Christmas, this one was a 4 camera job of a roller skating performance (magnificent!!), so i gave the edit to Peter who provided the other cameras while i did the other 2 jobs. I had no problems with my 2 edits or DVD authoring. Peter uses PremPro/CS5 whatever. He provided me an mpg file complete for the show, but before i had received the list of credits from the client. He made a very nice intro at the begining.

I had arranged with the client to not have a full list of dances in the DVD Menu, just Act1 & Act2 (either side of interval), the Presentations & Credits, but to also have chapter points (not listed in the menu) for each separate dance along the way. This i know how to do nicely in AVID DVD, but never could in Liquid.

Well, as many of us have commented already, his mpg file would not play with MC, but did import to Liquid. So i tried several times to export it from Liquid to something that worked in MC.

Meanwhile, we had the discussion about PPro using Avid codecs, & eventually i went to his place & sorted that out for him (videographer & editor he is great, but IT dumbo). We made a sample of the 11 second intro alone which works fine for me, & I now use it as the First Play before the DVD menu.

However, when he tried exporting the rest of the 48 minute show, he had several problems, & tried many times to get an output that works. We believe we have that sorted now, pretty much in the format you described Tomas, DNxHD 120, but he did it in 3 sections, so the 48 minute show is cut in 3.

I AMA linked those files into MC to produce a single export (QT Ref) file, but we enjoy the silliness of long GOP not playing nicely with QT Ref, so first I did Mixdown both video & audio, then export QT Ref from a new sequence. This all seemed to go well, just too a silly amount of time.

Meanwhile, I build the Credits clip _ MC Title Tool didn't like the copy/paste from word as it would be 'too long' for it, the poor pet. So back to Liquid, where i have no problem copying the clients long list of credits & adding theirs & mine logos at the end, with music of course.  I tried many export options from liquid, many didn't work to go into DVD at all (M2V fuse, WMV, etc), some i figured could be the reason it was crashing. This is about when i discovered that Liquid has QT AVID Codecs DNxHD as deeply buried option, & now I have that, i am certain this 1:48 minutre file is not the problem in DVD.

Now to AVID DVD, (which won't take files not on the PC local HDD, dah, &i keep running out of space with all these different exports) while i have massive space on my network.

I build the DVD like this:

Title1: 11 second First Play taken from the file provided by Peter.

Menu using jpg photograph, a title & 4 menu buttons linking to various chapter points in the following Titles.

2 Titles, being the exported QTRef file from MC of the main show with 13 Chapter points, folled by the Credits file from Liquid.

And this is the point where the next stage of problems begin. It looks OK, Simulates OK, but right at the end of the trancoding & file building process, has a dummy spit with 'End of File -10003'.

So the experimenting began. I tried substituting files, & as you suggested Kenton, after a few failures started cutting them down in size. But by systematically removing the titles & even the menu, it worked only when the main show Title was removed. So with the main show Title back in by itself, it worked if i cut it down to 2 minutes, but not when i ran it at the full 48 minutes.

So convinced this is still where the problem lay, (the file from Peter), I have been remaking the QT Ref from MC twice over, & 3rd time now while also trying it without going through MC at all, as the DNxHD files came straight into DVD, just had to bring the 3 in separately, & that stuffed up the timings I had for the dances chapters, but that is OK, I soon found the right spots again.

So there it is in a nutshell, well a pretty big nutshell. What else would you like to know? Other than in an hour has this version worked!

Cheers from Paul.

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 8:02 AM In reply to

• PaulsProd
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,785

It must've taken me a long time to write the tome above, cos the DVD write just finished .....

.... with same error. Now I am really out of ideas. [:'(]

Except the only thing I haven't done, is make the Credits in MC itself instead of exporting from Liquid??

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 8:26 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

So Paul, to summarize, you have it all working now when using your friends DNxHD file directly in Avid Dvd without going through Media Composer at all, is that so ?

If that file didn´t need any adjustments, the origin mpg 2 file from your friend might have behaved in the same good way directly imported into Avid Dvd.

This also points to that your import - export workflow in Media Composer wasn´t correct , something that you need to practise a little on when you get some time for it.

I like that DNxHD export directly out of Liquid for the titler, I have used it myself in the past, gives you real good quality when configured correct and I suppose you used Title Deko Pro in Liquid, a real good titler.

But, back to the first sentence, is this working for you now ?

Tomas 

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 8:33 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

mjolnarn:

So Paul, to summarize, you have it all working now when using your friends DNxHD file directly in Avid Dvd without going through Media Composer at all, is that so ?

If that file didn´t need any adjustments, the origin mpg 2 file from your friend might have behaved in the same good way directly imported into Avid Dvd.

This also points to that your import - export workflow in Media Composer wasn´t correct , something that you need to practise a little on when you get some time for it.

I like that DNxHD export directly out of Liquid for the titler, I have used it myself in the past, gives you real good quality when configured correct and I suppose you used Title Deko Pro in Liquid, a real good titler.

But, back to the first sentence, is this working for you now ?

Ok, as it isn´t possible to edit posts in this forum this is how to edit, it seems to have failed for you one more time.

This points to a problem with Avid Dvd, please check your workflow one more time , also, with Avid Dvd closed down, delete all the ses folders situated in the same folders as your media files, they will be rebuilt when opening up Avid Dvd again, just let it happen, might take a little while.

Also, are you creating dvd folders or an iso file, I suppose that you don´t go directly to disc.

Tomas 

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 10:19 PM In reply to

• PaulsProd
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,785

Thanks again Tomas, yes & yes fro Liquid. My final output is an ISO, but for some of the small tests I've made folders so I could play the VOB files to make sure they were ok. It failed again last night.

I give up, AVID cannot do it. I've lost too much time, now other projects in jeopardy of being late.

Peter is coming here shortly to take my credits & menu design, & he will produce the ISO for in Adobe.

• Mon, Jan 16 2012 7:06 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Sorry to hear that Paul, good luck with Encore.

I am seeing a couple of things when looking at your screenshot that might help others in the same situation though as different lengths of the files, you might have a look at that if you get some time as Avid Dvd wants the audio and video to be of the same length.

The fact that they are of different length also points to some kind of workflow issue, I also cannot understand how you can have 3 splitted files for the main clip in Avid Dvd and one unsplitted file in Media Composer

Tomas 

Page 4 of 6 (78 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller