Latest post Thu, May 19 2016 5:19 AM by Bryce Randle. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 5 2011 11:26 AM

Stills duration from AAF or EDL import

Using MC6 I'm trying to import a timeline from external software via either AAF or EDL.

Generally it's working fine except for still image files (mainly JPEG), which when imported to the Bin, have a duration showing as '12:00:00:00' if I've used AAF, or '23:59:59:24' if I've used EDL.

When I try to use Clip Import to bring in the source image for this, it won't import. In the Console the error is 'Exception: IMPORT_TOO_SHORT'

Is there a way I can get round this? Can I maybe change the duration of the clip in the bin to only 1 frame so that the import won't be too short, or is there a way I can amend the EDL so that it contains a 1 frame duration time for the image?

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Dec 5 2011 12:34 PM In reply to

Re: Stills duration from AAF or EDL import

You can modify that start or end timecode of a clip as long as it's got no media connected to it yet. And in this case you won't have yet.

But the error message seems odd stating the import is too short.

What info does the master clip show for start and end timecodes?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Dec 5 2011 3:20 PM In reply to

This has got me somewhere, thank you.

As standard the clips appeared in the bin with a start of 00:00:00:00 and an end and duration both of 12:00:00:00. The duration column isn't editable, and originally I didn't have the 'end' column visible; when I made it visible and tried to make changes to it by typing directly into that column in the bin, I got an Address Exception error.

However by right-clicking and going to 'Modify...', and decrementing the end timecode by 11:59:59:24, that successfully changed the duration to 1f.

Once I'd done that, using Batch Import, then the clip imported OK despite giving an error message which was (from memory, possibly not 100% accurate) 'PCM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA'. The clip duration changed to 30 seconds (my default setting for importing still images) and then it was editable.

Something else has come up and the whole thing seemed a little bit quirky, but I'm planning to come back to this on Wednesday and work out more solidly what the working process is.

Thanks for your suggestion

• Mon, Dec 5 2011 3:45 PM In reply to

One thing that may help.

You can sort you clips and then batch select the whole group and apply the modify change to them all in one go.

That should save some time!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Dec 7 2011 2:34 PM In reply to

Unfortunately I've managed to get further with this but I'm still stuck.

When I use Batch Import on the sequence imported from AAF, all the clips now show up as valid media in the bin. However on the sequence itself it still shows everything as 'Media Offline', even on the Relinked.01 version of the timeline, and at the end of the import and when opening the sequence I get the strange non-fatal error message "PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA".

Any suggestions would still be very welcome. 

EDIT: The error message is PMM_ and NOT PPM_ as I originally wrote.

• Wed, Dec 7 2011 3:06 PM In reply to

• Brian Suttie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,570

Try this

Take a copy of your imported sequence and put it in another bin. Decompose the sequence - select "Imported Clips Only".  Leave "Create New Sequence" selected.  Batch import the decomposed clips rather than the sequence.  Your decomposed sequence should now have all the stills online.  Note that this won't work correctly for imported movies unless the duration of the clip in the sequence is the same as the duration of the source movie - i.e. the entire clip.

However it should work for stills.

regards

Brian

"We'll fix it in post"
    "This is post"
    "aaaahh"

• Wed, Dec 7 2011 3:32 PM In reply to

This works well for the stills, thank you! That's definitely a big step forward.

Now I just need to work out how to get the file-based video clips that are also on the timeline to relink properly, and I'll be home and dry... Huh?

• Wed, Dec 7 2011 5:11 PM In reply to

• Brian Suttie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,570

Ah, so when you said "it's working fine except for still image files" you didn't really mean it?Wink 

"We'll fix it in post"
    "This is post"
    "aaaahh"

• Wed, Dec 7 2011 5:20 PM In reply to

I must confess I thought the video was working because the clips in the bin were present. When I originally posted I hadn't hit the 'PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA' problem. 90%+ of the timeline is stills-based and since the stills weren't there and the video was visible in the Source window I didn't have any cause to play the timeline and therefore didn't check the video was playing back from the timeline, unfortunately it's not.

I haven't figured out yet why the video clips have seemingly re-imported fine in the Bin and Source, but I still get PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA when opening or trying to play back any part of the timeline. I'm still looking at it and in the meantime any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks again for your help

• Wed, Dec 7 2011 5:40 PM In reply to

• Brian Suttie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,570

It's probably trying to play media that it thinks is there but isn't because of duration differences.

Do your clips play correctly in the source monitor? No skipping or doubling of frames?
    That's what usually happens if you batch import say QT movies with a different duration to the actual clip.

BTW what format are your clips?

Troubleshooting suggestions - turn all tracks off then turn on audio tracks one at a time and then monitor video tracks one at a time to isolate the issue.

Mark in and out points and play "in to out" rather than just play, again to isolate the problem.

If it's only one or a few clips then import rather than batch import and cut into sequence again.

regards

Brian

"We'll fix it in post"
    "This is post"
    "aaaahh"

• Fri, Dec 9 2011 9:19 AM In reply to

Thanks for your ongoing suggestions, really much appreciated. After a day elsewhere yesterday I'm now back to trying to get this sorted.

Thanks to the posted solution for getting the stills in (decomposing first, then adjusting the end timecodes of all the clips in the bin, then batch importing those), my remaining problem is now so different from the original subject line that I might start it up as a new thread, once I've done a couple more tests.

In the meantime though... we have all the clips as both DNxHD 1080p master MOVs and h264 720p reference MOVs. They're identical apart from the video format (they're animation not live-action). It doesn't matter which version I import, the results so far have been the same. The source timeline I'm trying to import is PAL, into which those exact MOVs have been imported and down-converted 'on the fly' in Premiere- the filenames remain the same.

The QT movies appear fine in the bins. They are the right duration (same as the original MOVs) and seem to play without errors or skipping.

There's no audio at all, and splitting the timeline and switching tracks on and off has shown me that the PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA error occurs on 0% of the stills, and 100% of the movies. So my problem is actually now a much simpler and hopefully more common one.

• Fri, Dec 9 2011 10:03 AM In reply to

Answering my own post, I've just worked out what the problem was. I was barking up the wrong tree. The video clips were failing to play back for a completely different reason.

In Adobe Premiere if you put a transition like a cross-dissolve onto a clip, and that transition extends beyond the available media of the clip (eg. before the 1st video frame), Premiere will automatically freeze-frame the media so that the transition plays. In live-action this would probably look terrible but in some graphics and animation it's OK. For Avid though it is literally insufficient media.

Almost all the video clips on the timeline had transitions like that on them, and as long as there's even one such transition anywhere on the timeline, Avid gives you a 'PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA' error and won't play back even if you're looking at a completely different part of the timeline.

Taking those problem transitions off the timeline made the whole set of movie clips magically appear and start to play back without any issue. Coupled with the solution for getting the stills in (decomposeing and adjust end timecodes before batch importing) I've got it all sorted. Big Smile

Thanks once again for your help.

• Fri, Dec 9 2011 11:04 AM In reply to

• Brian Suttie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,570

Cool

Thanks for letting us know the outcome

regards

Brian

"We'll fix it in post"
    "This is post"
    "aaaahh"

• Thu, May 19 2016 5:19 AM In reply to

• Bryce Randle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 10 2010
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 70

I got another solution to work tonight. I was getting the import too short error as I was importing an animatic that was cut in Premiere and transferred to Avid through Boris FCP Transfer. I found that if I went into the "duration" of a still and kept it at 10 seconds, it wouldn't work. However, my in to out time was 1:59:22 by premiere default so I made my still duration in Avid 180 seconds. It works now. Good luck to anyone looking. 

MC7 , Nitris DX , MacPro [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller