Latest post Wed, Jan 29 2014 6:35 PM by Telegram!. 47 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 22 2012 11:11 PM In reply to

Re: REQUEST for an option with the Select Left/Right Buttons

Pat Horridge:
    Isn't that 6.5.2

It is. Not 6.5.0.2.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Dec 23 2012 8:54 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,122
    • Points 12,755

Pat Horridge:

Isn't that 6.5.2

That's the one (or the two)

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 2:30 AM In reply to

• mcdannyj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 9 2011
    • Posts 24
    • Points 330

Well hey!

Delighted and enthused to see a change like this!  I've recently been playing around with Premiere Pro 6.0 just because they out-and-out copied Avid's trim tool functionality (which is really nice, by the way, and Avid editors should know about it...). But if this works as I hope, then this little change once again puts AVID on top as the best straight editing tool on the block, bar none.  Thanks AVID software team!

2014 Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 ● 16 GB RAM ● 27" Cinema Display ● Media Composer 2018.10 (on Mac OS X 10.12.6) [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 24 2012 5:44 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

jogotron:

Sometimes adding an edit is not the solution, such as when you have many layers of audio that overlap.  Adding edits there will cause all kinds of unnecessary issues - especially with layered sound effects that have been precisely timed. 

Yes exactly....more often than not.

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 5:49 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

TrevorA:

now available in v6.5.0.2

mcdannyj:

Exactly.  And to put it on the record for future browsers of this topic... here's a visual:

Select all to the right of the timeline indicator - all tracks enabled - and you currently get this...

current select

And in my suggestion, if you held down the option key, you'd get this instead:

optional select

Would love to see this option.  Okay... I'm getting off my soapbox.

Thanks for reading!

Big Smile

Sorry, just to confirm, has this feature actually been added now?

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 8:35 AM In reply to

Nnata:

Yes, in 6.5.2.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 3:18 PM In reply to

Check out this thread http://community.avid.com/forums/t/115549.aspx and read page 5 of the ReadMe file attached.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 4:24 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Just installed 6.5.2. I applied the alt/option modifier to this option and ...NEK MINNIT....nothing! Can anyone confirm that they have sucesfully executed this opertion in Symphony 6.5.2? I've tested it a few ways with no luck. 

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 4:43 PM In reply to

• stevecohen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 3 2006
    • Venice, California
    • Posts 499
    • Points 5,520

It works in 6.5.2 Media Composer. Select your tracks, park the playhead where you want the selection to start. Hold down option (or alt) and hit Select Right. All clips to the right will be selected, in the active tracks. No black -- not at the playhead or anywhere else -- will be selected.

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 4:45 PM In reply to

Nnata:
    Just installed 6.5.2. I applied the alt/option modifier to this option and ...NEK MINNIT....nothing! Can anyone confirm that they have sucesfully executed this opertion in Symphony 6.5.2? I've tested it a few ways with no luck. 

I've tested it on Symphony 6.5.2 on a PC and ALT+select left/right selects clips only, leaving filler unselected.  Haven't tried it on a Mac.

Try with a new user and a new project, Ben, and see if anything changes.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 4:55 PM In reply to

Ben and Carl:

Symphony 6.5.2 on MacBook Pro 3,1 running 10.7.2. Opt + Select Left or Right does indeed ignore the filler clips. Standard click Select Left or Right includes all filler clips.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 5:26 PM In reply to

Hi all,

This ALT (OPT) function works indeed as expected using keyboard shotcuts.

What doesn't work is, adding the ALT/OPT modifier button from the command palette to the keyboard settings. (and the little ALT/OPT point appears on the button shortcut.)

Engineers  are aware of this 'bug' and working on it.

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 5:52 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Wim Van den Broeck:

Hi all,

This ALT (OPT) function works indeed as expected using keyboard shotcuts.

What doesn't work is, adding the ALT/OPT modifier button from the command palette to the keyboard settings. (and the little ALT/OPT point appears on the button shortcut.)

Engineers  are aware of this 'bug' and working on it.

Ahhh yes that's what threw me, I went straight for the command pallets alt key assignment. Glad the to hear the engineers are onto this...regardless , very happy to have this essential feature now.

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 6:26 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,122
    • Points 12,755

Nnata:

TrevorA:

now available in v6.5.0.2

mcdannyj:

Exactly.  And to put it on the record for future browsers of this topic... here's a visual:

Select all to the right of the timeline indicator - all tracks enabled - and you currently get this...

current select

And in my suggestion, if you held down the option key, you'd get this instead:

optional select

Would love to see this option.  Okay... I'm getting off my soapbox.

Thanks for reading!

Big Smile

Well it looks abut different from those grabs in that it doesn't select *any* filler after cursor. Does it thus change relationship between clips as you slide? Haven't got 6.5.2 myself yet.)

• Wed, Jan 29 2014 3:46 AM In reply to

Yes, this works!

Words cannot express how thrilled I was to read that Avid actually put in this feature. A thread with a very happy ending!

Media Composer 7.0.3 Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz i7, 16GB RAM. SSD Boot drive. OS X 10.9.1 G-tech 8TB Thunderbolt harddrive. [view my complete system specs]
Page 3 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller