Latest post Fri, Nov 18 2011 6:13 AM by irwinpks. 48 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (49 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 16 2011 7:08 AM

• Kenny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Pomona CA
    • Posts 71
    • Points 1,085

Was MC6 release today

Was MC6 release today?  The reason I am asking I see no were on the site that you can purchase it.  If it was release today how long before Avid send e-mail to customers that purchase between October 15 and the deadline I think it is a the end of the month were they can download the free upgrade?Smile

AMD Ryzen X1700 MB Asus Crosshair 6 Hero Asus GTX1070 8MB Memory 32GB Avid Media Composer 8.8.5 Symphony option [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 16 2011 12:08 PM In reply to

Re: Was MC6 release today

Yes.

It seems that MC6 caused an Internet breakdown worldwide!

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.11 with Symphony Option on Dongle/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Wed, Nov 16 2011 12:57 PM In reply to

Kmaultsby:

If you purchased MC 5.5 between Oct 15th and Nov 15th and you registered the software, you are entitled to a free upgrade to MC 6.  The MC 6 version is live at the download center, but cybernetic traffic jams are slowing downloads to a crawl at this time.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Nov 16 2011 1:13 PM In reply to

• Chris Medico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 24 2006
    • Central NC
    • Posts 375
    • Points 4,685

And making the attempts to download repeatly fail. :(

Primary: Intel i7-3930k @ 4.2ghz, 16gig RAM, Nvidia GTS250, Windows-7 64bit, MC 6.0.3 System 2: Intel i7-920 @ 3.2ghz, 12 Gig Ram, nVidia GTX670... [view my complete system specs]

I've not opened Liquid since early 2011. I miss the old girl but life is change.

• Wed, Nov 16 2011 2:19 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,780
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

DieselAddict:

Diesel....

Working on it - I have reported this to the web team. The vast # of folks downlaoding is most likely causing this.  I am hearing of folks that want to try MC downloading from the DL as well as those that are eligible for the free uprgade.  They shouldnt be downloding from there but.....  they are :(

Working it...

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Nov 16 2011 2:54 PM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Sorry this is all getting a bit cofusing.

Does this mean people who purchased MC5.5 and are eligable for the free upgrade to v6 can do this via the download center? I thought this was just for people with support contracts and that we had to wait for the protect site to become available?

Have I got this wrong? I ask because I am aware that there is a limited window of oportunity to take advantage of the free upgrade offer.

As a thought as it seems there may be a delay that could go into days before we can download the upgrade is there a chance of extending the deadline in view of these problems?

thanks

Graham

HP Z400 6 Core Intel Xeon W3680 3.33GHz 6GB memory NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB PCIe graphics card MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 16 2011 3:02 PM In reply to

• Vinne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 26 2006
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,175

Dear Marianna,

from where should I download when I'm eligible for the free uprgade?  Not from the Download Center?  Sorry, I'm confused.

Full of anticipation:

Vince

2 x HP z400, 3.2 GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 2000, MC 7.0.3, Matrox MXO2 MAX mini, LaCie RAID 2TB eSata, Win7 64 Bit SP1 HP xw8400, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 16 2011 3:06 PM In reply to

Hi Graham,

sasfog:
    I thought this was just for people with support contracts and that we had to wait for the protect site to become available?

You understand it correctly.  Don't worry about getting left out of the free upgrade.  Marianna Montague (Avid's customer advocate, for those of you who don't know her) has said anyone who legitimately purchased and registered an MC5.5 upgrade during the protect period will get the free MC6 upgrade.  If you run into any problems, send her an email at marianna.montague@avid.com and she'll help you.

ciao,
    Carl

p.s. If you already upgraded to 5.5 some time before the protect period, and you're trying to purchase a second 5.5 upgrade in order to get 6.0 for cheap, that won't work.  Not saying any of you guys have tried that; but some people had.

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Nov 16 2011 3:10 PM In reply to

Hi Vince,

Vinne:
    from where should I download when I'm eligible for the free uprgade?  Not from the Download Center?  Sorry, I'm confused.

Wait for the MC6 announcement later today, and there will be instructions there.

ciao,
    Carl

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Nov 16 2011 3:14 PM In reply to

• Vinne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 26 2006
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,175

Thanks Carl!

I'll wait.

2 x HP z400, 3.2 GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 2000, MC 7.0.3, Matrox MXO2 MAX mini, LaCie RAID 2TB eSata, Win7 64 Bit SP1 HP xw8400, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 16 2011 3:31 PM In reply to

• Helena Trix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • Pretoria, South Africa
    • Posts 161
    • Points 2,460

Marianna:

DieselAddict:

I am hearing of folks that want to try MC downloading from the DL as well as those that are eligible for the free uprgade.  They shouldnt be downloding from there but.....  they are :(

That's because its VERY unprofessional to announce an upgrade on a date and dont MEET your own announcement for all customers.

You CAN NOT come up with an excuse like ''yeah yeah we are updating the site for academic, but uhhh yeah i dont know how long it will take, i will post it on the forum when its there''.you CAN NOT DO THIS, it looks so unbelievably unprofessional. The site should have been updated and ready for launch BEFORE 15th november. 
    I cant believe this, how hard can it be. 

Also the whole fact that we got to ''look for a thread on a forum'' if we can download our V6 academic version.This kind of things you ANNOUNCE ON THE MAIN TOPSITE OF AVID.COM. YOU HAVE TO BE CLEAR ABOUT THIS KIND OF STUFF.

Mac Pro 32GB Lion MC 7.02 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 16 2011 4:36 PM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Thanks Carl. I'll wait and see.

Helena, these things happen from time to time and can't be avoided even with the best preparation.

I imagine that when the link is available it will be made promenent on the site and certainly won't be announced half way through an existing thread.

If its worth having, it's worth waiting for.

Graham

HP Z400 6 Core Intel Xeon W3680 3.33GHz 6GB memory NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB PCIe graphics card MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 16 2011 5:20 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Helena Trix:

You CAN NOT come up with an excuse like ''yeah yeah we are updating the site for academic, but uhhh yeah i dont know how long it will take, i will post it on the forum when its there''.you CAN NOT DO THIS, it looks so unbelievably unprofessional. The site should have been updated and ready for launch BEFORE 15th november. 
    I cant believe this, how hard can it be. 

Helena, what actually happened was that an install bug with Squeeze was found less than 24 hours before the release, missed in the beta testing by everyone including myself ( to my defense I already have both Squeeze 7 and also 8 installed on my system so it seemed not necessary to install it one more time.. )

Some people over there actually worked their a *** off to get this out on the right day ....

Marianna have already here in public said a big thank you to Lew for finding it...

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Nov 16 2011 5:34 PM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 639
    • Points 9,815

Red Digital Cinema also had a server crash on the day of their Scarlet-X launch.

But all in all I agree to some degree, servers need to be ready for the amoung of traffic when such a release happens. It's not like you have a hangar with boxes, most people download today so a large corporation need to understand the amount of traffic that will occur on the day of a major launch.

Overall I think the Avid community site need some refreshings. The visuals alone are pretty old and I think there's good to have a Mac and PC separated thread, but there should be a single main thread for MC, because some, mostly most questions may just be about MC and not to a specific platform. I find it rather wrong that you always get the blame that you haven't searched before posting, while the answer might be in the other platform forum.

It's also amusing that whenever I'm to log in I always reach the "new" we have merged the Avid accounts... -log in page.

I think some things has to be done to the community part of Avid, it's confusing and the whole think about the upgrade hasn't been clear to most people, even if there has been alot of threads posting answers.

Simplify, do it the Steve Jobs way; design not about making stuff look good.

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• Wed, Nov 16 2011 5:40 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,850
    • Points 24,220

Is the MC 5.5 to 6 upgrade download a full installer so that I can uninstall all the previous versions of the software before installation??

Denny

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 4 (49 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller