Latest post Tue, Nov 15 2011 9:40 PM by Larry Rubin. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 1:30 AM

Prepping For MC6 Upgrade

I am getting my computer ready for the MC6 upgrade.  I have purchased the MC5.5 upgrade but don't plan on installing it since 6.0 will be ready in a few days.  I read somewhere that this will be fine as long as my 5.5 is registered.

In the 5.5 Installation Guide it states to use the Control Panel to remove the "Digi Drivers".  I checked and don't see those listed.  Am I missing something?  I do not have ProTools are any other audio plugin installed.

Lastly, will Sonic Fire's Smartsound still work with MC6?

Thanks for the help,

David

AMD Phenom II 1090T Six-Core processor, 12GB DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card with 1 GB memory, HDMI, onboard RealTek HD audio ports, analog and... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 1:43 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,495
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Prepping For MC6 Upgrade

chappyptcruiser:
    In the 5.5 Installation Guide it states to use the Control Panel to remove the "Digi Drivers".

Dave,

The DigiDrivers used to show up in the control panel in earlier versions of MC. I am not sure when they stopped being visible. I guess that the MC Installation guide for 5.5. is referring to anyone upgrading from 4.x.x or earlier In MC 5.5 they are not visible. They will be uninstalled when you uninstall 5.5 - so no problems there.

chappyptcruiser:
    Lastly, will Sonic Fire's Smartsound still work with MC6?

I use SonicFire as a stand-alone application. So there should be no problems using it that way in MC6 either.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 4:46 AM In reply to

Sonicfire Pro is a standalone app as Douglas use it.

There is no plugin for MC.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:14 AM In reply to

One last thing (hopefully)...

Do user preferences, like keyboard and workplace settings, remain intact?  Just in case I've copied my settings to another backup drive (again, hopefully I did it right).

AMD Phenom II 1090T Six-Core processor, 12GB DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card with 1 GB memory, HDMI, onboard RealTek HD audio ports, analog and... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:43 AM In reply to

Yes, but it is highly recommended to rebuild user settings for new full releases.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 1:53 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Job ter Burg:
    Yes, but it is highly recommended to rebuild user settings for new full releases.

With all the updates and changes to the GUI that has been done, I would go even a step longer and say that your old user settings should be buried and forgotten, you might want to do your own new customized settings in the new Avid GUI.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 2:15 PM In reply to

David:

First, Job is right. ESPECIALLY if you are upgrading from MC 4 to MC 6, create an entirely new user profile from scratch. DO NOT carry over your MC 4 profile, as many things have changed between the two versions.

Second, although things may be working OK now, you MAY (or may not) have problems with MC 6 given that your processor and graphics card are not supported. See the system requirements for full details.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 2:59 PM In reply to

I second everything Job, Larry, Tomas said.

In fact it would be better to setup new settings in every reinstallation

if it's from the scratch (new OS installation) even if this is somehow difficult.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 4:40 PM In reply to

Quote: "In the 5.5 Installation Guide it states to use the Control Panel to remove the "Digi Drivers".  I checked and don't see those listed."

When installing previous versions of MC, the Digi Drivers were listed as Avid Audio Drivers (x64) on my system, and I deleted them before installing new versions. I did the same when upgrading to MC 5.5.3. I never had a problem doing so.

However, after having installed MC 5.5.3 I cannot longer find the Avid Audio Drivers.

MB: ASUS P6TD Deluxe, ATX, Intel X58, QPI 6.4GT/s, Intel LGA1366, 6xDDR3 1600MHz, PCI-E V2.0, On-board Soundkarte. CP: Intel Core i7 920 (2.66 GHz) Quad... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:09 PM In reply to

• Alcy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 10 2009
    • Posts 1,002
    • Points 12,975

Job ter Burg:

Okay, I don't do this often. Where do I delete so I can have a fresh rebuild?

Avid MC 8.1

Windows 8.1

HP Z800
    Dual Intel Xeon E5530 2.4GHz
    24GB RAM
    SAS 320GB @ 15K RPM OS Hard Drive
    1TB HD and 1.5TB HD Internal
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3800

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:12 PM In reply to

• Alcy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 10 2009
    • Posts 1,002
    • Points 12,975

I assumed I need to uninstall my MC 4.x and all the plugins that works inside of MC 4.x before I install MC6, correct? One more thing, I'm using a USB dongle. Will I still be able to use the USB dongle with MC6? If so, what steps do I need to take to make sure my USB dongle can activate and work with MC6?

Avid MC 8.1

Windows 8.1

HP Z800
    Dual Intel Xeon E5530 2.4GHz
    24GB RAM
    SAS 320GB @ 15K RPM OS Hard Drive
    1TB HD and 1.5TB HD Internal
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3800

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:50 PM In reply to

Alcy:
    I assumed I need to uninstall my MC 4.x and all the plugins that works inside of MC 4.x before I install MC6, correct?

That is correct. 32 bit based plugins will not work with MC 6.

Alcy:
    Will I still be able to use the USB dongle with MC6? If so, what steps do I need to take to make sure my USB dongle can activate and work with MC6?

Yes, you will still be able to use your dongle with MC 6. When you purchase (or upgrade) to MC 6 and MC 6 gets released, you will be given a new access code to get the dongle updater file you'll need.  

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:00 PM In reply to

Also, here is additional information FOR ALL DONGLE BASED CUSTOMERS:

Dongle Based Upgrades - Customers currently using a Dongle based system will receive an Activation ID with their upgrade which they will trade in at www.avid.com/upgrade  for a dongle updater.avd file.  Once a customer completes the update process, the Activation ID will be retired and will NO LONGER WORK. You will only be able to use your dongle to license your software.

Upgrade NoteUpgrades to existing products will continue to use the existing System ID for that product as part of the upgrade activation.

Dongles can still be purchased separatelyDongles can still be ordered from Avid for those that wish to use this licensing method.  If a customer orders a dongle, they will trade in their Activation ID at www.avid.com/upgrade  for a dongle updater.avd file.  Once a customer completes the update process, the Activation ID will be retired and will NO LONGER WORK. You will only be able to use your dongle to license your software.

Any questions please contact Marianna.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:31 PM In reply to

I purchased and downloaded the 5.5 upgrade on the 11th. I was just getting ready to deactivate 5.04 and uninstall before installing 5.5.

But I noticed in my email from the Avid store that I was given a Dongle Key Code. I've never had an MC Dongle. So, is it safe for me to deactivate the software license to 5 and uninstall, or not? Do I just enter the Dongle key code as if it's a software activation key? It's always been Machine ID and Serial Number for me in the past, at least, that's the way I remember it.

Thanks!

MC 6.0.4,Gateway FX6800, i7 920 Processor, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 SP1), 6gb Ram, GeForce GT 710 (2gb), 2 JVC HM170U Camcorders, 1 Canon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 9:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,495
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Roland Achini:
    Quote: "In the 5.5 Installation Guide it states to use the Control Panel to remove the "Digi Drivers".  I checked and don't see those listed."

Roland,

I answered this a little earlier in this thread.

As you seem to have missed it, here it is again

The DigiDrivers used to show up in the control panel in earlier versions of MC. I am not sure when they stopped being visible. I guess that the MC Installation guide for 5.5. is referring to anyone upgrading from 4.x.x or earlier In MC 5.5 they are not visible. They will be uninstalled when you uninstall 5.5 - so no problems there.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller