Latest post Thu, Aug 7 2014 1:03 PM by JeffPierce. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 3 2011 9:46 PM

• Foster Chen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 9 2005
    • CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

VideoRaid ST hard drive swapping

I have an Avid VideoRaid ST with 5TB storage, and was wondering if it can accept new 2TB hard drives as opposed to the 1TB it currently holds.  i want to swap out all five with 5 new hard drives so as to keep the old data intact.

Don't want to buy 5 HITACHI Ultrastar 2TB's and find out that they don't work!

Anybody have experience with this issue?  Thanks!

Foster

Media Composer 3 on MAC 8-core Avid 5TB VideoRaid ST Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 3 2011 11:58 PM In reply to

Re: VideoRaid ST hard drive swapping

Are those Avid drives? The Avid VideoRAID only accept serialized hard-drives. Meaning, it checks the firmware to make sure those drives are "avid drives".

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 4 2011 12:21 AM In reply to

• Foster Chen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 9 2005
    • CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

They are HITACHI brand drives, Ultrastar 1TB 7200RPM.

So I'm wanting to replace them with the same brand drives, only now at 2TB each, giving me a 10TB array.

Don't know if it will work...I've read the User's Guide and it only states 5TB, but that was when 1TB was the highest capacity drive available.  So technically, it should work...but still risky!

Media Composer 3 on MAC 8-core Avid 5TB VideoRaid ST Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 4 2011 12:46 AM In reply to

Again, it will not work. The drives must be actual Avid VideoRAID branded drives. Even though they are Hitachi drives, Avid uses their own firmware to identify the drives as Avid drives. You can't use just any drive you want.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 6 2013 1:04 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:
    The drives must be actual Avid VideoRAID branded drives.

Ok 3 years have passed... but I have just confirmed it on a Videoraid ST.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Jun 15 2014 4:50 PM In reply to

• mivko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 4 2013
    • Posts 10
    • Points 90

On the other hand, we just successfully replaced the original drives of a VideoRaid SR with standard SATA drives. For testing, we had 4 TB WD RED drives. They were only seen as 2 TB drives, but they worked.

Maybe it depends on the VideoRaid firmware whether any drives can be used or whether they need to be Avid drives?

Anyway, it is worth trying.

• Thu, Aug 7 2014 1:03 PM In reply to

I have 8 open slots in my Videoraid ST and someone from Avid Tech told me I could poulate these with non avid branded drives. I've purchased 8 drives and 8 drive sleds but have not tried installing them yet. From reading the posts above am I goimg to have problems with these drives?

Also does anyone have a link to the installation guide for the videoraid St? Can't seem to find it.

Jeff

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller