Latest post Mon, Oct 17 2011 11:34 PM by 8bitpictures. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 17 2011 10:44 PM

RED AMA linking?

Okay, this is my first RED project, so be kind.

AMA linked to the master folder I got from the camera guy. It hears the audio, but not the picture. I'm getting sort of a staticy looking image, (basically digital noise)

What am I doing wrong?. I'm finding this whole operation a tad overwhelming. Working in the dark a bit here.

• Mon, Oct 17 2011 10:58 PM In reply to

Re: RED AMA linking?

1. Do you have the Red AMA plugin installed (it's a separate install)?
    2. Is your machine fast enough (needs to be a top-notch machine if you want it to run realtime)
    3. Was this footage shot with Red One or with Epic? Epic footage doesn't work with the AMA plugin, workaround is to use RedCine-X to transcode to DNxHD.

For anything you will be working on for more than a day or so, do transcode to DNxHD. AMA is a nice way to get quick access, but you won't want to tax your system decoding R3D all day, it's a drag. Transcode over night and you'll have a ball editing. If you can get your hands on a RedRocket card, transcoding will be faster.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 17 2011 11:06 PM In reply to

1. Nope, installing now (hoping that's the ticket) Hadn't heard anything about the plugin, here's hoping.

2. My machine is an i7 3.8 with 24g of ram, so it should be plenty quick, (NVIDIA card, of course)

3. I'm not sure. I think it's a one though. (crossing fingers)

I've installed REDCINE, so the transcode deal may be next up. Don't wanna spend the 5K on a card for a project that will pay me about 5k, LOL, so we'll see if we can get by without the card ;)

thanx for the tip on the ama plugin, here's hoping.

• Mon, Oct 17 2011 11:30 PM In reply to

Since 5.5, all AMA plugins (except Quicktime) are separate installs. Machine sounds fast enough. Still recommend transcoding for anything you'll work on for more than a day. Quicker exports (need to transcode every QT you send out to music, vfx, sound dept),, faster/easier turnovers (no AAF export from AMA).
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 17 2011 11:34 PM In reply to

Did not know that about the AMA plugins (been running a lot of quicktimes)

I owe you a beer!, working flawlessly, not so much as a hiccup. In fact this stuff is running slicker than my quicktime footage. thank you!, I owe you a (virtual) case of scotch! ya made my day.

(I think it's a bit telling that my local dealer did NOT inform me about the AMA installs. Seems the interwebs has become the go-to place for information these days)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller