Latest post Tue, Sep 13 2011 10:30 AM by mjolnarn. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 9 2011 2:50 PM

.MOVS in 1080p 50 importing into avid. Help!

Hi!

I'm very new to avid, and i have been working on final cut and premiere pro for a number of years now.

I now work for a TV company as an editor and i have had to learn avid. Its fantastic, it is by far the best system i have used.

I have a small problem, Im editing a Dunkirk documentary, and the company have shot on digibeta which i have captured and started to cut in a 25i sd project, and today i got a hard drive with loads of .MOV files on it from a HD camera. shot at 1080p 50.

I changed my project to a 1080p 50 project so the SD stuff still plays back etc, but each .mov file is around 200mb and is taking 3 mins to import each one. however, there are some that are over 2gb and these are taking 35 mins each...

Is there any way around this? I tried converting some files to h264 for avid a while back and they took just as long to import...

Thankyou in advance, please be nice.

Brad

• Fri, Sep 9 2011 5:03 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: .MOVS in 1080p 50 importing into avid. Help!

Hi Brad and welcome here.

A first small little question that is important for the rest of your workflow, what is your target publishing goal, SD or HD ?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Sep 10 2011 1:24 PM In reply to

Hi, yeah sorry about that.

I've changed the project from SD (25i PAL) to HD (1080p 50) because i rang the camera man to ask what he shot on.

I will be exporting in HD. Is that what you were asking?

Cheers!

• Sat, Sep 10 2011 2:59 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,373
    • Points 40,745

That is what was asked.  I will ask some more.  You have material shot in SD (loaded from digi) and files from a HD camera.

You say you will finish (export) in HD.  Why?  Do you need to?  The reason I ask is that converting SD to HD will look worse than converting HD to SD.

So, if it is a choice on your part, at least look at the percentages of each format and think about how much of each you may end up usiing.  Also, think about the ultimate usage of the finished piece.  If this is for broadcast, then there will be delieverables you need to meet.  That will drive everything.

On to your original question.

Read up on AMA.  This is the Avid tool which will let you link directly to many different flavors of files and start editing with directly.  How smoothly this works depends on the power of your CPU and the speed of your disks.  At minimum it can let you view your footage and the transcode it to a native Avid format.  And transcoding is generally faster than importing. There are some limits and gotchas with AMA, but it is a powerful tool you should get comfortable with.

When using AMA in a project that will mix formats and frame rates, it is best to set up a "load" project.  This is a project setup matching the frame size and frame rate of specific source material.  With .mov files, you can determine this by opening a sample file in QT player and doing either a Ctrl I or Command I.  This will give you Info.

Once you have AMA linked or imported or captured from tape the media in this load project, go to your main cutting project (which should be in the frame size and frame rate of final delivery) and Open Bin > navigate to the load project > select the appropriate bins.  Now use the footage from there in your editing.  This will keep Avid happier in dealing with any issues it needs to keep track of.

There are other issues / workflows for mixing formats in a project.  The help tool is good (mix and match I think they call it).

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Sep 10 2011 3:59 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Regarding frame rates and aspect settings, are you really sure of that your project is 1080 50P and not 1080 25 P.

If it is true 50P HD I think that, for now, your only possible setting is 720 50 P

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Sep 12 2011 8:51 AM In reply to

Right ok, how come 720 50p would be my best settings? sorry if that sounds like a stupid question.

I rang the camera man, and he said he shot it in 1080p 50 on xdcam. He checked his camera on the phone too, so im just going on that. bit of a nightmare really.

when i changed the project to a 1080p 50 one, the HD footage is looking crisp on my big HD TV mounted on the wall. Its looking pretty good on the moniters too. Im just a little concerened about what its going to look like exported, and backed up to tape. but they haven't specified what they want it as yet... which again is a tad annoying.

Cheers man,

Brad

• Mon, Sep 12 2011 9:59 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Hi Brad, I have been looking for a 1080 50P projrct in Avid myself to do some private tests, maybe for a future cam and new workflow, but so far only found 720 50P and no way to change the aspects in that project to 1080.

Anyhow, about your transitions to 50 P from 25i , ( funny that this should come up now actually, I have just wrote an article about it .. ) this is my suggested workflow

Your main project should be 1080 50P

Open up a new project for your 25i SD media and bring those in.

From your 50 P project go to " open bin "  and bring in the SD media, a motion adapter will be automatically applied, open up your motion editor and have the settings to what looks best, maybe blended VTR and testing what looks best when checking - unchecking that deinterlace box.

The tricky part is the upscaling, you would need a Boris filter to have this look nice, let me think about what can be done as there are no SD resolutions able to switch to into that 50 P project from what I can see

Tomas 

• Mon, Sep 12 2011 10:19 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

mjolnarn:

The tricky part is the upscaling, you would need a Boris filter to have this look nice, let me think about what can be done as there are no SD resolutions able to switch to into that 50 P project from what I can see

I just did a succesful try, once your motion effect is rendered ( but this is also possible to do unrendered ) go to export file and select quicktime movie and SD aspects, be sure to select DV 50 Pal into the advanced options.

Once the file is created export it back to your 50 P HD project with options " do not resize smaller images " and use Boris Uprez to upscale it

Tomas 

• Tue, Sep 13 2011 10:22 AM In reply to

Thankyou very much, massive help!

I just spoke to the camera man again, its actually 1080i 50..

Anyways, i brough the SD 25i footage into a 1080i 50 project with the HD footage, put some SD and HD clips together on a sequence and exported a few times with different setting,

H264 at 720x576 for 16:9 at best quality comes out ppretty well with the mixed formats..

• Tue, Sep 13 2011 10:30 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I rang the camera man, and he said he shot it in 1080p 50 on xdcam. He checked his camera on the phone too, so im just going on that.

Brad Sherman:

I just spoke to the camera man again, its actually 1080i 50..

Yes, luckily for us ( some ) cameramen aren´t editors ..

Nice that you have it working now, if the cameraman had known what he was doing from the beginning it might have been fixed faster Big Smile

You have at least learned a couple of things from this thread that you created and I guess that it was one of your purposes with it, if you need even better upscaling of your SD clips just tell.

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller