Latest post Thu, Jul 5 2012 1:24 AM by RyanCB. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 3 2011 1:23 AM

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 2 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Exception: A serious error has occurred/AMA/etc

Hey all - I know there are a couple old topics on this error but I thought my situation presented something a bit different.  I'm working with linked AMA files (from a Sony F3) from an external hard drive.  I forgot to turn on my HD one session and turned it on when I already had the project open and got the dreaded "Exception: A serious error has occurred.  It is recommended that you save your work and restart the application immediately".  This pops up whenever I try to play any of my sequences, and prevents me from doing so.  I can still play edit: SOME BUT NOT ALL individual clips in the source monitor fine.  

When I open the project with my external HD disconnected, the sequences play fine, but obviously everything is Media Offline.  

I have all my footage backed up on a different external HD - is there any way to use that to solve this?  

Or do I need to transcode my AMA linked files to Avid Media Files?  If so, um...how?  

MC 5.5 btw.  Thanks!  

• Sun, Sep 4 2011 5:09 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Exception: A serious error has occurred/AMA/etc

Looks like some of the links are broken.....

Take a look at this helpful tip

http://avid.force.com/pkb/LegacySearch?DocId=385915

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 5 2011 4:08 PM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Hi Marianna - thanks so much for that link.  I followed the instructions to relink all the AMA footage (link to AMA volume and then "relink") and it's mostly working.  The problem I have now is only about 2/3rds of my clips in my sequence show up as online after I do this and the rest are still offline.  The weird part is that all the clips (both video & audio randomly) showing up as offline in my sequence are actually there in my AMA linked bin - they are just not connecting to each other for some reason.  Any ideas on how to get these to recognize each other?  Thanks so much!  

• Mon, Oct 10 2011 9:08 PM In reply to

• James Rose
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 7 2010
    • Hampshire, UK
    • Posts 14
    • Points 240

Hi,

I've just encountred a very similiar situation whereby my media drive was disconnected on opening my project which comprises of AMA LINKED material.  After searching this forum, I started following the re-link precedure as I did have offline clips.  However, I didn't have to re-link as the clips came back online as soon as I opened all of the bins.

Thanks, J

• Tue, Oct 11 2011 2:10 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,025
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

If relinking appears to not be working correctly, try this:

Make sure any Avid media is offline.  (You can do this by ejecting drives or renaming the the Avid MediaFiles folder to something else, like xAvid MediaFiles.)  Open all AMA bins.  Relink to AMA via SourceClip names, choose all drives, media outside of your project.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Oct 11 2011 12:17 PM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Good advice all around here.  As to my original problem, I ended up fixing it through a combination of relinking and re-editing from scratch (not as much of a pain as one would think).  I highly recommend people do NOT use AMA to edit deep into their projects, for fear of problems like these.

The problem I'm having now is with transcoding - it seems a couple clips from my project somehow got captured at 29.97 instead of 23.98 fps, so when I transcode the sequence, those two clips slow down because of the different frame rate.  Am I screwed here?

• Tue, Oct 11 2011 1:04 PM In reply to

I generally don't like to rely on AMA beyond fast access, subclipping and then transcoding.

But have had to go with jobs relying completley on AMA end to end and these sorts of issues can and do crop up. Generally the time and effort to resolve is still less than the massive saving in traditional importing and reconforming.

I do hope Avid improve MCs ability to cope with missing AMA media ratehr than the current serious error situation.

Re the frame rate issue. The clips should have had a motion adapter applied automatically that altered their speed to match the project rate. Transcoding should have created media with that speed change applied?

Worse case is to go back to just those two clips and do a mixdown to make media at the required frame rate with the motiona adapter speed change applied. Then re-cut in. But a dirty work around....

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Oct 11 2011 11:58 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,025
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

If you didn't want those 29.94 clips playing at 23.98 you can import them at their native speed after typing this into the Console:

IgnoreQTrate true

Note that they'll play slower as their time won't be adjusted with the motion adapter.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Jul 4 2012 5:29 PM In reply to

• worldwiser
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 12 2007
    • London, England
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,210

Anyone know why Avid goes into a spasm of hundreds of repeated 'saving' when you plug in a drive with a project open with AMA links? 

Avid MC 8.8; Intel i7 6800k 6 core 3.4GHz; 32GB RAM; Win 10 64Bit; QT 7.7.9; Nvidia Quadro M2000 4GB. Main/Avid/OS drive 520GB SSD / Media 1TB SSD / Addl... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 5 2012 1:24 AM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

My guess would be that MC is trying to reconcile the new media found on your drive (that was just plugged in) with your current AMA stuff.  I wouldn't recommend connecting or disconnecting drives while your project is open.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller