Latest post Tue, Sep 6 2011 9:21 PM by Marianna. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 2 2011 4:29 PM

• reelmensch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Canada
    • Posts 64
    • Points 1,045

Format Help (videos to youtube)

Hello friends,

Basically what I am doing is making real estate video tours, and posting them on youtube.  The product should have a quick turn around, but my videomixdowns take about 7 hours for a 5 min video!  I am thinking that maybe this is because I am shooting in a higher quality than I need to since the video ultimately ends up on youtube at a lesser quality anyway.

1. What format should I shoot? I am shooting HD HQ 1920/60i onto SxS cards on a Sony Ex1-r

2.In Sorenson, which is the best converted format for youtube? I am converting to MP4 480 (16X9)

3. Does anybody have any other suggestions of a more efficient way to churn out these videos without compromising too much visual integrity.

Thankyou all, and good luck

Jed

Avid Media Composer 8 Microsoft WIndows 7 Professional Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz 64 bit Operating System Installed Physical Memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 2 2011 4:45 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,070
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Format Help (videos to youtube)

Jed,

Here is some guideance from us on how to upload tutorials to YouTube which might help you....

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/84331.aspx

Hope this helps.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Sep 2 2011 5:29 PM In reply to

What resolution are you choosing when you make the Video Mixdown?

A 5 min video mixed down at DNx145 usually takes me 3 mins or so.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Sep 2 2011 5:30 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

reelmensch:
    ... my videomixdowns take about 7 hours for a 5 min video!

I can tell you that I use the same camera, and it should not take anything like that for a mixdown, though I'm not sure what the problem might be.

You should probably post your system specs in your profile, as this is useful in helping figure out the source of problems.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 2 2011 8:56 PM In reply to

reelmensch:
    my videomixdowns take about 7 hours for a 5 min video!  

I agree with everyone else.   I shoot with an EX1R, and a 5 minute mixdown (even with lot's of effects) shouldn't take anywhere near that long.

reelmensch:
    In Sorenson, which is the best converted format for youtube?

If you have Sorenson 6 or above, you can download this YouTube preset from the Sorenson Exchange:

http://exchange.sorensonmedia.com/presets/43-youtube-hd-1080p

I use it for YouTube all the time, and the results are excellent.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Fri, Sep 2 2011 10:01 PM In reply to

• reelmensch
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 64
    • Points 1,045

The resolution that I mixdown is: DNx145 .  I'm not sure why it is taking 7hrs for a 5 min video! My render time is not out of the ordinary... What kind of system specs can I give you, I'm not sure how to list them properly?

Thanks again for all the help everybody!

Avid Media Composer 8 Microsoft WIndows 7 Professional Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz 64 bit Operating System Installed Physical Memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 2 2011 11:38 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

reelmensch:
    ...What kind of system specs can I give you, I'm not sure how to list them properly?

You should enter into your profile the various computer specifications that make up your editing workstation.  These should include, at the very least: the version of Media Composer installed, your operating system, processor type, amount of memory, make and model of your graphics card, GFX driver version, and version of Quicktime installed.  Some people also include the amount and type of storage, sound card, etc.

To enter this info into your profile: 

Click on your name at the top right of your screen.  On the new page, click Edit my profile on the left side of the page.  Click the Profile Options tab, scroll down, and in the space to the right of System Specs enter in all your relevant computer information.  Then click Save.

Often performance issues can be explained by problems with the system specs.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 3 2011 2:04 PM In reply to

Is it the video mixdown step that takes 7 hours, or the entire conversion process? Just want to make sure we have the semantics straight. When I'm converting footage for upload to YouTube, it's the saving to H264 step that takes the most time.

MC 6.0.4,Gateway FX6800, i7 920 Processor, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 SP1), 6gb Ram, GeForce GT 710 (2gb), 2 JVC HM170U Camcorders, 1 Canon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 3 2011 3:55 PM In reply to

• reelmensch
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 64
    • Points 1,045

No, the actual process between the time that I click video mixdown until I have a mixdown clip to insert takes about 5hrs for 5 mins of timeline (I checked last night).

Now I'm really embarressed, I don't know what saving to H264 means.

Am I shooting in higher quality than youtube can handle? If so, if I lower my capture quality, maybe that will speed up processes such as mixdowns.  There is somehting wierd about 5hrs for 5 mins to mixdown.

• Sat, Sep 3 2011 4:14 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

H.264 is simply a codec you might use, part of the mp4 standard, to encode your video in Sorenson for YouTube.

While capture quality can affect the time needed for a mixdown, it should not be the source of your currrent problem and is unrelated to what YouTube will and won't accept.  Many people, myself included, use the same camera, same video quality settings, and experience nothing like the many hours you describe for the mixdown process.  It should take minutes, not hours.  Plus, in theory at least, you want to start with the best quality you can, even if you're only posting to YouTube.

Can you please take a few minutes to enter your system specs as I have described above?  Not displaying them makes it very hard for us to have any hints about what might be going on.

• Sat, Sep 3 2011 4:25 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

As an addtional aside, I just mixed down a three-minute 1080 24p sequence, with footage originating from an EX1R, in 1:20.  Slightly different format than you're using, admittedly, but still...

• Sat, Sep 3 2011 5:04 PM In reply to

• reelmensch
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 64
    • Points 1,045

Ok, I have entered what I hope are all of my system specs, and perhaps too many, but I figure more is better than not enough.  Are people going to laugh that I am trying to edit on this system? I was told it was powerful enough. What is goin on!? 

Furthermore, today I burned in a timecode at the bottem of a hour long clip, and it is taking 4hrs to render the effect of the timecode burn!

• Sat, Sep 3 2011 6:22 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

They're not going to laugh at you necessarily - you're not completely out-of-line with what some people are using successfully - but there are elements to your system that are "unsupported", in particular your AMD processor and by extension the motherboard, also your GFX card is not technically supported (and a bit ancient).  And you're on the low end of what is recommended for installed memory.  You have the correct versions of Quicktime (I think you have it misspelled in your specs:  should be 7.6.9 not 1.6.9) and the correct GFX driver version.  If you have MC running and are editing, I would venture to say that it still shouldn't take anything like that long to do mixdowns.  I would guess that video mixdowns are mostly a processor-intensive operation rather than a graphics-intensive one, and if that is the case, you should have plenty of oomph to get the job done.  Unless your unsupported processor just isn't playing well with MC.  I'm musing here.

Can I ask - how are you getting your EX1 clips into MC?  Are you using the ClipBrowser software?  Or are you using AMA?

• Sat, Sep 3 2011 7:27 PM In reply to

• reelmensch
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 64
    • Points 1,045

I am using a Sony SxS card-reader and linking the volume G to avid.  I am going to take your last post and show it to my computer guy.  Is there anything else I should let him know? He is a computer wiz (builds them from scratch) but he is not an avid user

• Sat, Sep 3 2011 8:09 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Only that he should look at the Media Composer system requirements to use as a guide:

LINK

To be clear - are you linking volume G, then rewrapping the EX1R clips as MXF files prior to import into Media Composer?  Or are you trying to edit using volume G as an external drive of sorts?  

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller